Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Yasu Torigoe / Sets / Sept 2019 Gdansk, Poland 2
Yasu Torigoe / 80 items

N 309 B 4.8K C 18 E Sep 24, 2019 F Sep 13, 2020
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Basilica of St. Mary of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Gdańsk
St. Mary's Church (Polish: Bazylika Mariacka), or formally the Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, is a Roman Catholic church in Gdańsk, Poland . Its construction began in 1379, or 1343 according to the official website. It is currently one of the two or three largest brick churches in the world, and one of the two or three largest north of the Alps. Between 1536 and 1572 St. Mary's Church was used for Roman Catholic and Lutheran services simultaneously. From the 16th century until 1945, when Danzig became Polish Gdańsk, it was the second largest Lutheran church in the world. Inside the church is room for 25,000 people.
The church was severely damaged late in World War II, during the storming of Danzig city by the Red Army in March 1945.
The reconstruction started shortly after the war in 1946. The roof was rebuilt in August 1947, using reinforced concrete. After the basic reconstruction was finished, the church was reconsecrated on November 17, 1955. The reconstruction and renovation of the interior is an ongoing effort.

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Stągiewna street

Wyspa Spichrzów Gdańsk Poland- an island in Gdańsk on the Motława River , located in the Śródmieście district .
The island is situated between the Motława River and its ditch - Nowa Motława . It is situated in the center of Śródmieście, connected to the Long Gardens from the east through the Stągiewny Bridge , from the south to the Old Town, from the west through the Krowi Bridge and the Zielony Bridge with the Main Town. From the north, the island is adjacent to the Ołowianka island .

N 396 B 5.4K C 23 E Sep 24, 2019 F Aug 31, 2020
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Royal Route: The city has some buildings surviving from the time of the Hanseatic League. Most tourist attractions are located along or near Ulica Długa (Long Street) and Długi Targ (Long Market), a pedestrian thoroughfare surrounded by buildings reconstructed in historical (primarily during the 17th century) style and flanked at both ends by elaborate city gates. This part of the city is sometimes referred to as the Royal Route, since it was once the former path of processions for visiting Kings of Poland.

The Golden Gate is a historic Renaissance city gate in Gdańsk, Poland. It is located within the Royal Route, the most prominent part of the historic city center and is one of its most notable tourist attractions. It was created in 1612–14 in place of a 13th-century gothic gate, the Brama Długouliczna. Wikipedia
The virtues of Peace, Freedom, Wealth, Fame, Piety, Justice and Concord are depicted in allegorical statues adorning the balustrade of this gate overlooking ul. Długa. Designed by Flemish architect Abraham van den Blocke, it was built between 1642-44, later destroyed during WWII and not restored until 1997. An inscription on the gate reads, “Small states grow by concord, great ones fall by disagreement.” As you walk through the gate, you are now on ul. Długa (Long Street) - the heart of Gdańsk Old Town.


Prison Tower & Torture Chamber
Originally built as part of the city’s fortifications in the second half of the 14th century, the complex was rebuilt by Antoni Van Obberghen between 1593 and 1604 with the smaller of the two buildings becoming a torture chamber and courthouse while the larger tower became the prison. It was here that executions were carried out until the middle of the 19th century. Damaged during WWII, it has been extensively renovated and how houses the Amber and Torture Museums.

Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D from Venus Optics, full frame manual lens (does not show in EXIF)

Tags:   Gdańsk Pomeranian Voivodeship Poland

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Most Stągiewny

Most Stągiewny (bridge) From the east, the bridge connects the Granary Island with the Long Gardens .
There is a historic Stągiewna Gate next to the bridge. The shape of its tower was associated with jars in Gdańsk . Hence the name of both the bridge and Stągiewna Street, which begins at the western abutment of the bridge. On the eastern abutment, there is a confluence of Szafarnia, Długie Ogrody and Szopy streets .
Until World War II, the bridge was a drawbridge and a tram line ran from the Main Town to Stogi .
The bridge has a load capacity of 40 tons, although it is located in the zone of streets with a ban on entry for vehicles over 3.5 tons of total weight.

Tags:   Gdańsk Pomeranian Voivodeship Poland

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Basilica of St. Mary of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Gdańsk
St. Mary's Church (Polish: Bazylika Mariacka), or formally the Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, is a Roman Catholic church in Gdańsk, Poland . Its construction began in 1379, or 1343 according to the official website. It is currently one of the two or three largest brick churches in the world, and one of the two or three largest north of the Alps. Between 1536 and 1572 St. Mary's Church was used for Roman Catholic and Lutheran services simultaneously. From the 16th century until 1945, when Danzig became Polish Gdańsk, it was the second largest Lutheran church in the world. Inside the church is room for 25,000 people.
The church was severely damaged late in World War II, during the storming of Danzig city by the Red Army in March 1945.
The reconstruction started shortly after the war in 1946. The roof was rebuilt in August 1947, using reinforced concrete. After the basic reconstruction was finished, the church was reconsecrated on November 17, 1955. The reconstruction and renovation of the interior is an ongoing effort.

Gdańsk Town Hall
Ratusz Głównego Miasta. Oddział Muzeum Gdańska

Gdańsk Main Town Hall is a historic Ratusz located in the Gdańsk Main City borough of Śródmieście. It is one of the finest examples of the Gothic-Renaissance historic buildings in the city, built at the intersection of Ulica Długa and Długi Targ, in the most popular part of Gdańsk. The Main Town Hall in Gdańsk houses the History Museum of the City of Gdańsk.
The Main Town Hall in Gdańsk is located on Ulica Długa, part of the Royal Route.
The oldest fragments of the town hall come from 1327 to 1336 - the building was then much smaller in size, which led to its expansion in the subsequent years.
The first major expansion of the building began in 1378. The tower was complete in the years of 1486-1488; the building of which was led by Henryk Hetzel. The tower was completed by Michał Enkinger, with a high dome in 1492.
Heavily damaged in WW2, with the loss of the top of the tower, it was carefully repaired and reconstructed, largely complete by 1952.


6.3%