St. Kazimierz Church in Warsaw's New Town, Poland, part of the Benedictine Nuns of Perpetual Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament monastery in Warsaw
In Poland, the first convent of Benedictine of the Most Blessed Sacrament was founded in Warsaw in 1688 by Queen Marie Casimire in recognition of the victory of Polish King's Jan III Sobieski victory over the Turks near Vienna (1683).
The nuns departed from France on August 22, 1687, and arrived to Warsaw after two months of travel. Since the monastery was not yet built for them, they temporarily lived in the Royal Castle, where they started their adoration on January 1, 1688. They moved to a new monastery on June 27, 1688.
The Warsaw monastery is the only foundation from the time of the founder that exists continuously in the same place, and one of ten established during the lifetime of Mother Mechtilde. During the Warsaw Uprising in 1944 the church and convent were completely destroyed, burying in its ruins 35 nuns and a high number of inhabitants of the Old Town.