The Terrace of the Elephants is part of the walled city of Angkor Thom, a ruined temple complex in Cambodia. The terrace was used by Angkor's king Jayavarman VII (1125-1218) as a platform from which to view his victorious returning army. Most of the original structure was made of organic material and has long since disappeared. Most of what remains are the foundation platforms of the complex. The terrace is named for the carvings of elephants on its eastern face.
The 350m-long Terrace of Elephants was used as a giant reviewing stand for public ceremonies and served as a base for the king's grand audience hall. The middle section of the retaining wall is decorated with life size garuda (the garuda is a legendary bird or bird-like creature in Hindu, Buddhist and Jain mythology) and lions; towards either end are the two parts of the famous parade of elephants. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrace_of_the_Elephants