The remains of the gallery with Buddha images the smaller chedi. The Khmer style Wat Chaiwatthanaram is a Royal temple that was used by the King and other members of the Royal family and is one of Ayutthaya's most impressive temples. The monastery is located opposite the South West corner of the historical island on the other side of the Chao Phraya river.
Wat Chaiwatthanaram was constructed in 1630 by King Prasat Thong. The King built the temple as a means to gain Buddhist merit and as a memorial to his mother. The monastery was looted and largely destroyed by the Burmese armies in 1767 after which it was deserted.
Wat Chaiwatthanaram was built following the concepts of the Khmer mountain temples of Angkor to symbolize the universe in Buddhist and Hindu cosmology. At the center is a 35 meter tall Khmer style prang (a corncob shaped tower). At each of its corners stands a much smaller tower. The prang represents Mount Meru surrounded by oceans. It is surrounded by eight smaller chedi connected by covered galleries that enclose a courtyard. The 25 meter tall slender towers diminish in size towards the top. In their interior are niches that each enshrined an image of the Buddha seated on a pedestal. Lining the gallery were over 100 gilded and black lacquered images of the Buddha in subduing Mara mudra. Ayutthaya Thailand