Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Snuffy / Sets / Grimsby, ON
44 items

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from thespec.com:

The houses on Auditorium surround a grass circle where the “temple” used to be. In the middle is a stone monument to the late 19th century Ontario Methodist Camp, which gathered here, sometimes called the Chautauqua of Canada.

Tags:   Auditorium Circle Grimsby Beach Grimsby Ontario Canada Ontario Methodist Camp Chautauqua of Canada

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from virtualmuseum.ca:

Bell Park was given its name for the bell that was placed in the park. The bell was used to call people to worship and in the event of a fire, as an alarm. Made by the Jones Troy Bell Foundry Company of Troy, NY, it weighed 1577 pounds. The bell was originally ordered, and intended to be hung at the top of the Temple. It was too heavy for its original location; consequently, the decision was made to place it in Bell Park on a wooden platform. In later years, a cement platform was built.

This area of Grimsby Park had a bog hole causing the ground to be very damp. To eliminate the wet ground, the spring was damned up and drained into a heart-shaped moat. The drained centre became a beautiful flower garden and grassy area and was accessed by two wooden bridges built over the moat. It was large enough to hold many of the classes offered each summer as part of the programme of activities. Water grew scarce in later years and was drained into the lake. When H.H. Wylie bought the Park in 1910 the moat was filled.

Tags:   Bell Park Grimsby Beach Grimsby Ontario Canada Ontario Methodist Camp Chautauqua of Canada

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from niagarathisweek.com:

St. George’s Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church at the corner of Ontario and Adelaide Streets was originally Grimsby Central Methodist Church, built around 1885. When the Methodists, the Congregationalists and some of the Presbyterians joined in 1925 to become the United Church of Canada, this building was renamed Trinity Hall, and was used as a Sunday school.

In 1948, it was sold to the newly formed congregation of St. George’s.

By 1943, there were enough Orthodox Ukrainian families in Grimsby to warrant a church of their own. They met at first at the home of Mr. and Mrs. S. Cybulak on Main Street East where they decided to adopt St. George as their patron saint.

Five years later, they purchased the building on Ontario Street and became part of Grimsby’s religious community.

The nave is lavishly decorated with religious paintings and embroidered hangings made both by “Old Country” Ukrainian and local artisans. The screen in front of the altar is colourfully painted with lovely icons.

Tags:   St. George's Ukrainian Orthodox Church 19 Ontario Street Grimsby Ontario Canada Places of Worship

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from grimsby.ca:

Doctors’ House: The subject property is located at the northeast corner of Ontario Street and Doran Avenue.

The property has the original brick building and its addition and includes the addresses 16 -20 Ontario Street. The subject of the designation is the brick building and its southwesterly addition at 16 Ontario Street.

Statement of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest: The Doctors' House at 16 Ontario Street demonstrates physical value as a good example of the Queen Anne Style of Architecture, and as the most substantial residential building in the downtown core of Grimsby.

The subject dwelling embodies the rich architectural detail associated with historical fruit farms and with the Queen Anne Style of Architecture as a result of the profitability of the tender fruit industry in the area which allowed residential farm architecture to be lavish. The building represents an early example of a converted estate type residential building into a building used for medical practice.

The physical value of the building is enhanced by the Queen Anne Style detailing that is prominent on the exterior of the building. The Doctors' House at 16 Ontario Street demonstrates associational value as a focal point of the medical profession in Grimsby from the 1910s to the 1960s.

A number of the physicians who operated out of 16 Ontario Street were significant in the community as both professionals and community leaders. Dr. Buck was the first physician associated with the building and a community leader in many ways including education, service clubs and lodges.

His greatest community impact was his leadership of the Grimsby Peach Kings Hockey Club during its first years of operation which was a period of great prominence in the sporting history of Grimsby. Dr. McMillan was the second physician associated with the building and was prominent in his leadership of the local community through the establishment of the West Lincoln Memorial Hospital. The third prominent physician associated with the building is Dr. Jamieson. All three of the physicians associated with the Doctors' House were role models for their service as medical practitioners in the First World War. The Doctors' House at 16 Ontario Street as contextual value as it supports the character and quality of built form in downtown Grimsby and on Ontario Street. The building demonstrates historical land use patterns as a medical practice hub within the downtown.

Heritage Attributes
The following architectural attributes have been determined to contribute to the heritage value of the dwelling and constitute part of the Statement of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest for 133 Main Street East:
Local red stone foundation;
Brick plinth above foundation;
Two storey bay on south facade:
•Decorative windows;
•Stone sills and lintel;
•Decorative brick patterns;
•Blind bay with decorative brick;
Four decorative brackets in gable;
One storey bay on the north facade;
Stone sills and lintels;
Stone corbels;
Decorative brackets supported by stone corbels;
1/1 sash windows;
Brackets below the eaves;
Patterned slate roof;
Gable with decorative shingles;
Gable window;
Peaked roof;
Dormer window on south elevation;
Brick chimneys and chimney base on north facade;
Setback of west façade from Ontario Street;
Physical reminders of medical practice (speaking tube); and
Red pressed brick exterior (currently painted)

Tags:   Doctors' House 16 Ontario Street Grimsby Ontario Canada Designated Heritage Properties

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

Grimsby station in Grimsby, Ontario, Canada is served by the Maple Leaf train between Toronto and New York City.

The Maple Leaf is a joint Amtrak–Via Rail service: ticketing is shared, and trains consist of Amtrak equipment but are operated on the Toronto–Niagara Falls portion of the route by Via crews. The station was formerly served by additional Via trains operating as part of Corridor services, but these were discontinued in 2012.

The station is an accessible, unstaffed, but heated shelter beside the tracks replaced a small wooden shed. Parking is free.

Tags:   Grimsby Via Station 99 Ontario Street Grimsby Ontario Canada


11.4%