Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Snuffy / Sets / Cemeteries of Burlington, ON
22 items

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

St. John's History

Source: The First 150 Years: A History of St. John's Anglican Church, Burlington, Ontario by Robert Duke

St. John's - Nelson, the second oldest Anglican Church in Burlington, was founded in 1835 though worship has taken place in the present building since 1839. Though St. Luke's, Wellington Square was established in 1834, the people who had settled in the Nelson area found that travelling to the more southerly parish over the rough and muddy roads was inconvenient at best. Joseph Ireland, William Spence and John Wettenhall successfully petitioned the Bishop of Quebec (who spent half of each year in Toronto) for a local church. In 1835 the first service was held in an old schoolhouse which was located near the present rectory building. A travelling missionary, Rev. Frederick Mack, rode his horse from St. Luke's to the Guelph Line school. Rev. Henry Hugh O'Neill and Rev. J. Gamble-Geddes, also travelling missionaries, continued to visit the Nelson area from 1836 to 1838.

In 1838, Nelson had its first resident rector, Rev. Thomas Greene, who urged the congregation to build a church building of their own. The membership had grown beyond the limits of the old schoolhouse, and besides, the lease was about to expire. A building committee was struck and requests for donations made. Three quarters of an acre of land was purchased from Thomas Atkinson, a local farmer, at a cost of one pound twenty-five. It is on this lot that the present day church and cemetery are located. John Malcolmson, builder, of Hamilton, William Grant and Alexander Brown were contracted to build the church on May 17, 1839, for three hundred and seventy-eight pounds. The first service, on December 7, 1839, was attended by "a devout and numerous congregation", and on June 25, 1840, Thomas Greene recorded that it was full to overflowing.

While services were held in the Ballykill Bay schoolhouse, the "church" was simply referred to as "the church in the street." It had risen to the title "the Dundas Street Church" when the Stewart Mission donated the first Book of Common Prayer and communion vessels to the fledgling community of worshippers. When the official name of St. John's was given, is unknown, but it was probably at the time the church was consecrated by the Bishop.

Tags:   St. John's Anglican Church Places of Worship 2464 Dundas Street Burlington Ontario Canada Heritage Burlington Heritage Burlington (No Formal Recognition)

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from heritageburlington.ca:

A walk through the churchyard will show the headstones of early families of the area - Elizabeth Brant Kerr, husband William Johnson and son Simcoe, the Chisholm family, Fergussons and son Fergusson-Blair. Other stones mark the graves of the Bates, Buntons and Daltons, all early settlers.

Tags:   St. Luke's Cemetery Heritage Burlington 1382 Ontario Street Burlington Ontario Canada

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Tags:   Gate of Heaven Catholic Cemetery 580 Old York Road Burlington Ontario Canada Cemeteries Fall Autumn Seasons Level 1-Photography for Recreation

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Tags:   Gate of Heaven Catholic Cemetery 580 Old York Road Burlington Ontario Canada Cemeteries

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Tags:   Lowville United Church Cemetery 2707 Britannia Road Burlington Ontario Canada Heritage Burlington Heritage Burlington (No Formal Recognition)


22.7%