Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Snuffy / Sets / Caledonia, ON
14 items

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from haldimandcounty.ca:

The Toll House was built in 1875 as a residence for the toll-keeper who collected tolls from those crossing the bridge over the Grand River. The building is a good example of the Victorian Architecture of the period.

Tags:   Toll House 4 Argyle Street North Caledonia Haldimand County Ontario Canada Level 1-Photography for Recreation

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from historicbridges.org:

The Caledonia Bridge is one of the most significant and impressive bridges in Canada. The bridge is recognized as the longest rainbow arch bridge in Ontario. It may be the longest bridge of its type in all of Canada, thanks to its unparalleled number of spans. Rainbow arch bridges are often also called bowstring through arch bridges. The bridge's structural material is reinforced concrete. The spans of this bridge are large, compared to many other rainbow arch bridges in Ontario, and they tower over the average sized car. In addition to their height, the Caledonia Bridge is equally impressive in terms of its quantity of spans, and its total length, which make this an impressive and graceful structure without compare. The bridge also is unaltered from its original design and thus has good historic integrity. It is a key landmark for Caledonia and this heritage bridge should receive the highest preservation priority.

The site of the current Caledonia Bridge has a long history of being the location of an impressive and noteworthy bridge. In fact, the existing bridge replaced a bridge which was a large, six example of a Whipple Arch truss that was built in 1875. Each of those spans was 105 feet (32 Meters) in length. A large brick toll-keepers residence was also built near the north end of this bridge. This toll house remains in place today. At least one portion of this 1875 bridge collapsed due to overloading by a truck in 1925, prompting an interest in seeking construction of a new bridge which would lead to construction of the existing rainbow arch. This bridge was built in 1927 by Randolph MacDonald Company of Toronto, Ontario. The engineer for the structure was A. B. Crealock from Ontario Department of Public Highways.

Tags:   Caledonia Bridge Caledonia Haldimand County Ontario Canada Explored

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

The Caledonia Mill was a historic mill building located in Caledonia, Ontario, Canada. Built in 1846, it is a heritage property under the Ontario Heritage Act. It was the last timber-frame water powered mill along the Grand River in Ontario. In 2018 the mill was dismantled by Riverside properties and is currently being rebuilt as an office complex.

Tags:   Caledonia Old Mill 146 Forfar Street West Caledonia Haldimand County Ontario Canada

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

The Grand River (la rivière Grand) is a large river in Southwestern Ontario, Canada. It also lies along the western fringe of the Greater Golden Horseshoe region of Ontario which overlaps the eastern portion of southwestern Ontario, sometimes referred to as Midwestern Ontario, along the length of this river. From its source near Wareham, Ontario, it flows south through Grand Valley, Fergus, Elora, Waterloo, Kitchener, Cambridge, Paris, Brantford, Caledonia, and Cayuga before emptying into the north shore of Lake Erie south of Dunnville at Port Maitland. One of the scenic and spectacular features of the river is the falls and Gorge at Elora.

The Grand River is the largest river that is entirely within southern Ontario's boundaries. The river owes its size to the unusual fact that its source is relatively close to the Georgian Bay of Lake Huron, yet it flows southwards to Lake Erie, rather than to westward to the closer Lake Huron or northward to Georgian Bay (most southern Ontario rivers flow into the nearest Great Lake, which is why most of them are small), thus giving it more distance to take in more water from tributaries.

The river's mostly rural character (even when flowing through the edges of Waterloo and Kitchener), ease of access and lack of portages make it a desirable canoeing location, especially the stretch between West Montrose and Paris. A number of conservation areas have been established along the river, and are managed by the Grand River Conservation Authority.

The Grand Valley Trail stretches 275 km along the river's valley between the town of Dundalk and Lake Erie.

The Mohawk name for the Grand River, O:se Kenhionhata:tie means "Willow River," for the many willows in the watershed. During the 18th century, the French colonists named it Grande-Rivière. It was later renamed as Ouse River by John Graves Simcoe for the River Great Ouse near his childhood home in Lincolnshire on the east coast of England. The anglicized form of the French name has remained in common use.

Tags:   Grand River Caledonia Haldimand County Ontario Canada la rivière Grand

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from ontariowarmemorials.blogspot.com:

The cenotaph was erected in honour of the 28 men from this town who died in the Great War. Situated in front of the former Town Hall, this park is now a heritage and cultural centre for the surrounding area. A bronze plaque was added later to list a further 20 heroes whose lives were lost in the Second World War. The Korean War was also acknowledged. The names of key battles of the Great War are listed on the sides of the memorial.

The memorial was refurbished in 2012, and at that time a separate bronze plaque listing the names of all those who served in WWII from Seneca Township was also refurbished and located here. This Seneca plaque was originally unveiled in 1947, but for several years mysteriously disappeared into the bowels of the Haldimand Museum.

Tags:   WW I Memorial Heritage Square 80 Caithness Street East Caledonia Haldimand County Ontario Canada


35.7%