Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Snuffy / Sets / Historic Churches, Burlington, ON
18 items

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from tourismburlington.com:

Joseph Colling, the first farmer in the Lowville area, donated his land to the church in 1846. Prior to the construction of the church, services were held in a school on the north-east corner of Britannia Road and Guelph Line, and in a frame building on the present site, which was later replaced with the current brick structure. At that time it was named the Colling Church, and in 1855, it became the Lowville Wesleyan Methodist Church. It became one of 25 churches in the Nelson circuit. The present church was built in 1872 from orange bricks from the Bronte area.

Tags:   Lowville United Church Places of Worship 5800 Guelph Line Burlington Ontario Canada Level 1-Photography for Recreation Heritage Burlington Heritage Burlington (Individual Designation of Property-Municipal)

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from tourismburlington.com:

Nelson United’s history extends back to the first settlers in Nelson Township, which is the present day city of Burlington. In 1809 Moses McCay, received the patent to 200 acres of land, and in 1830 he sold one acre to the Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church. At this time, a small frame church with a gallery was built. In 1854, David Springer bought 100 acres and sold half an acre to the Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1859, the current stone church was built, and one year later a Sunday school was built to meet the needs of the expanding congregation.

Unfortunately Nelson United Church is now closed and replaced by Heritage Baptist Church.

Tags:   Heritage Baptist Church Nelson United Church Places of Worship 2437 Dundas Street Burlington Ontario Canada Heritage Burlington Heritage Burlington (No Formal Recognition)

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Tags:   Ukrainian Catholic Church Places of Worship Burlington Ontario Canada Heritage Burlington Holy Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary 419 Pearl Street

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

The corner stone was laid in May of 1876 for the church, and opened for service on May 13, 1877. Twelve stained glass windows with texts from the Scriptures, made in Scotland, were given to Knox by John Waldie. In 1909, the frame building joined with the main church and covered with brick.

Tags:   Church Heritage Burlington Ontario Canada GoldenGlobe Places of Worship Photography_for_Recreation Level 1-Photography for Recreation Heritage Burlington Heritage Burlington (No Formal Recognition)

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from knoxburlington.ca:

When Martha and Andrew Gage donated the land for Knox Presbyterian Church in 1845, the site was in what was then known as Wellington Square. A small, wooden frame church building was erected at the corner of Elizabeth and James streets and it served the needs of those early worshippers. By 1876, that little frame church was bursting at the seams, and the decision was made that a larger church was needed. And so, just three years after Burlington was incorporated as a village, the cornerstone was laid for a new church building.

That building and its congregation serves the community in the heart of the city. The original church, today known as the Bell Tower Room, still stands, surviving as one of the oldest buildings in Burlington. While the Bell Tower Room is unique, there are important elements of the 1876 building, including the stained glass windows in the sanctuary, a gift from John Waldie, an elder and leading politician of his era.

In 1909, the frame building joined with the main church and covered with brick.

Tags:   Bell Tower Room Knox Presbyterian Church Places of Worship Heritage Burlington Burlington Ontario Canada


27.8%