Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Snuffy / Sets / Heritage Conservation District-Draper Street, Toronto, ON
8 items

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from www1.toronto.ca:

Address:
1 Draper Street (formerly identified as Nos. 1-1½ Draper Street;
northeast corner of Front Street West and Draper Street).

Construction Date:
1886

Contractor/Builder:
Smith and Simpson

Alterations/Additions:
Window sash and entrances altered; brick painted; porches
removed; south wall reclad.

Original Owner:
Peoples’ Loan Company

Original Occupants:
#1:
----- Gallinger (first name illegible; in 1886);
#1½: Peter McIntyre (in 1886)

Building Type: *B: 2-storey Ontario House Type (* Draper Street HCD)

Construction:
In 1886, Smith and Simpson acquired the vacant property at the northeast corner of Draper and FrontStreets. They constructed the two-storey brick-and-roughcast semi-detached houses now identified as 1 Draper Street and originally known as Nos. 1-1½ Draper. The mortgager then acquired the properties, renting the houses to a series of tenants.

Design:
The two-storey semi-detached houses follow the form of a single Ontario House, a type popularized in the province in the mid-19th century and identified by its central gable peak. With a brick façade and roughcast side and rear (east) walls, the building is covered by a gable roof with end chimneys. The principal (west) façade features a symmetrical arrangement with the paired entrance doors (since altered) centered between single-storey bay windows. Four flat-headed window openings light the upper storey.

According to historical records, the property at the northwest corner of Draper and Front Streets (now identified as No. 500 Front Street West) contained a similar house, demolished in 1938-1939.

Tags:   Draper Street Heritage Conservation District Draper Street HCD Toronto Ontario Canada 1 Draper Street Semi Detached House Heritage Conservation District-Draper Street Heritage Conservation District Draper Street

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from www1.toronto.ca:

Address:
7-9 Draper Street (east side, south end).

Construction Date:
1881

Contractor/Builder:
Richard Humphries (attrib.)

Alterations/Additions:
#7 and 9: window sash, transom and doors replaced; sidelights, porches and patterned shingles removed; keystones removed from dormers; chimneys replaced; brackets removed on No. 7.

Original Owner:
Jonathan Madell, developer

Original Occupant:
#7: John J. Dewar, traveler (in 1883)
#9: John McMahon, tailor (in 1884)

Building Type: *A: 1½-storey Second Empire Style Cottages (*Draper Street HCD).

Construction:
In 1881, developer Jonathan Madell directed the construction of the semi-detached houses at 7-9 Draper Street. Their design is attributed to Richard Humphries (or Humphreys), a builder who produced the near-identical houses on the opposite side of Draper Street (#4-18). Madell transferred the properties to J. S. McMurray who financed the completion of the houses. John Canavan, a barrister, acquired the vacant houses in 1881. Five years later, the Peoples’ Loan Company held both properties.

Design:
The 1½-storey cottages display the mansard roofs and round-headed dormer windows with moulded surrounds identified with the Second Empire style introduced to Toronto in the 1870s. Constructed of brick, the houses rise from a stone base with window openings. The principal facades are designed as mirror images and faced with red brick. Firebreak end walls with chimneys are decorated with brick corbels. Contrasting yellow brick is applied for the window panels, drip moulds with keystones, quoins, belt courses (at the base and below the eaves), and for the brick flanking the roof. Entrances with segmental-headed transoms are centered and slightly elevated in the first storey between bay windows. The neighbouring cottages at Nos.3-5 Draper have identical pattern brick detailing. The houses at Nos. 3-17, 21-29 and Nos. 4-18 Draper display a common height and Second Empire features. They share their setback, brick cladding and pattern of projecting bay windows with the later houses at Nos. 20-32 Draper, forming a cohesive group of late-19th century buildings.

Tags:   Draper Street Heritage Conservation District Draper Street HCD Toronto Ontario Canada 7-9 Draper Street 1 1/2 Storey Cottages Heritage Conservation District-Draper Street Heritage Conservation District Draper Street

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from www1.toronto.ca:

Address:
20 Draper Street (west side, midway between Front Street West and Wellington Street).

Construction Date:
1889

Contractor/Builder:
Charles McClelland

Alterations/Additions:
Window sash replaced.

Original Owner:
John Douglas, barrister

Original Occupant:
John Rigg, engine driver (in 1890)

Building Type: *C: 2½-storey Queen Anne Style House (*Draper Street HCD).

Construction:
The house at 20 Draper Street was constructed in 1889 as part of a 7-unit rowhouse identified as Nos. 20-32 Draper.
Charles McClelland built the houses for John Douglas, a Parkdale barrister.

Design:
The 2½-storey rowhouse displays features identified with the Queen Anne style, popularized at the end of the
19th century. Rising from a sandstone base, the building is covered by a gable roof. The walls are constructed of brick and trimmed with brick and sandstone. On the two-bay facade, a 2½-storey bay window is placed beside a central entrance with a window above. The bay window is covered by a gable roof with decorative woodwork featuring carved brackets and finials. The panelled wood door with its flat transom is protected by an open single-storey porch with a shed roof, turned posts, carved brackets and scrollwork. Segmental-headed window openings have brick voussoirs and sandstone sills. No. 20 shares its height and architectural features with the neighbouring houses at Nos. 22-32 Draper. The row of 2½-storey houses at Nos. 20-32 Draper has its setback and pattern of projecting bay windows in common with the earlier cottages on the street, forming a cohesive group of
late-19th century buildings.

Tags:   Draper Street Heritage Conservation District Draper Street HCD Toronto Ontario Canada 20-22 Draper Street Row Houses Heritage Conservation District-Draper Street Heritage Conservation District Draper Street

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Tags:   Draper Street Heritage Conservation District Draper Street HCD Toronto Ontario Canada 22-24 Draper Street Row Houses Heritage Conservation District-Draper Street Heritage Conservation District Draper Street

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from www1.toronto.ca:

Address:
12-14 Draper Street (west side, midway between Front Street West and Wellington Street West).

Construction Date:
1881-1882

Contractor/Builder:
Richard Humphries

Alterations/Additions:
#12 and 14: Window sash and transoms replaced; stone base
altered; patterned shingles removed; keystones removed from dormers, sidelights removed, base and chimney altered on No. 12; dormers removed, porch replaced and brick painted on No. 14.

Original Owner:
Richard Humphries, builder

Original Occupant:
#12: Jabez Heigham, clerk (in 1883);
#14: Saxton T. Sheppard (in 1883).

Building Type: *A: 1½-storey Second Empire Style Cottages (* Draper Street HCD).

Construction:
The semi-detached houses at 12-14 Draper Street were built in 1881-1882. Richard Humphries (or Humphreys) constructed them as part of a series of semi-detached houses on the west side of Draper Street (Nos. 4½-18). The nearly-identical group of houses on the opposite side of Draper (Nos. 3-17 and Nos. 23-29), dating to 1881, were likely designed by Humphries. His estate retained the houses at Nos. 12-14 until 1886 when the properties were taken back by the Peoples’ Loan Company, which held the mortgages.

Design:
The 1½-storey cottages display the mansard roofs identified with the Second Empire style introduced to Toronto in the 1870s. The house at No. 12 retains its pair of round-headed dormers with moulded surrounds. Constructed of brick, the houses rise from a stone base with window openings. The principal facades are designed as mirror images and faced with red brick. Firebreak end walls with chimneys are decorated with brick corbels. Contrasting yellow brick is applied for the window panels, drip moulds with keystones, quoins, belt courses (at the base and below the eaves), and for the brick flanking the roof. Entrances with segmental-headed transoms are centered and slightly elevated in the first storey between bay windows. The house at No. 12 retains its porch. The neighbouring cottages at Nos. 4½-10 and Nos. 16-18 Draper have identical pattern brick detailing. The houses at Nos. 3-17, 21-29 and 4-18 Draper display a common height and Second Empire features. They share their setback, brick cladding and pattern of projecting bay windows with the later houses at Nos. 20-32 Draper, forming a cohesive group of late-19th century buildings.

Tags:   Draper Street Heritage Conservation District Draper Street HCD Toronto Ontario Canada 12-14 Draper Street Semi Detached Cottages Heritage Conservation District-Draper Street Heritage Conservation District Draper Street


62.5%