Excerpt from www.heritagemississauga.com: One of the most familiar sights near any harbour is a lighthouse, and Port Credit has had its share of them. The first was constructed in 1863 by Frederick Chase Capreol. The lighthouse, which was built out in the harbour, was taken over by the Ontario government in 1882. A 1908 flood separated the lighthouse from the mainland and in 1918 the lighthouse closed. The old lighthouse burned in 1936. The present lighthouse was constructed in 1991 and, while not an historic structure, is a reminder of Port Credit’s marine heritage. It is a Peel Region pumping station and the home of the Port Credit BIA. From its deck one can get a very good view of the Credit River and Port Credit harbour.
Tags: Port Credit Mississauga Ontario Canada Lighthouse Nice As It Gets-Level 1 **Heart Awards**
© All Rights Reserved
Excerpt from www.historicplaces.ca: Clarke Memorial Hall is associated with the Boustead and Clarke families, with the Port Credit Methodist Church, and with the administrative operation of the Village of Port Credit.
James Bellingham Boustead, a Toronto entrepreneur, was an active member of his community, and was actively involved with the Central Methodist Church, the Temperance League as well as holding local office in the municipal council of Toronto from 1865 to 1897. As a businessman, Boustead was a shareholder and the first president of the Toronto and Lorne Park Summer Resort Company, which bought land in Mississauga's Lorne Park and built summer homes. Boustead, himself, summered in Lorne Park, as did his daughter, Mary Louise Clarke.
Upon Boustead's death, Mary Louise continued her father's community work and especially his association with the Methodist Church. She was approached by the Port Credit Methodist Church to help build a hall for the Methodist Sunday School, which would also accommodate church meetings, community concerts and other events. Mary Louise Clarke purchased the property next to the church and, in 1922, construction began on the building. It was named in memory of her late husband, Alfred Russell Clarke, who had died as a result from pneumonia which set in after he survived the 1915 sinking of the luxury liner the Lusitania in the North Atlantic. In 1923, the property was donated to the Port Credit Methodist Church with the stipulation that the building be used for public purposes. It served as a church hall and, from 1941-1974, as the Port Credit Municipal Offices. Upon amalgamation of Port Credit with the City of Mississauga, the building was converted into a community centre. During the 1970s it also housed the offices of the Mississauga Symphony. Today, it remains a community hall. This rectangular, two-and-a-half storey building is constructed of red brick upon a stone foundation and is a fine example of Spanish Colonial Revival popular in the 1920s for public buildings.
The two-and-a-half storey, buff brick building is a landmark in the Old Port Credit Village Heritage Conservation District. Its buff brick walls are contrasted by the stone columns and arches and the white mullions of the multi-paned windows. Two chimneys, at opposing ends of the structure, protrude above the clay roof tiles, as does the curved front gable. The roof, covered in red clay tiles, gives the illusion of a truncated hipped roof in the front portion, while the two storey rear addition, which houses the building's auditorium and stage, is covered by a gable roof. Six monumental pilasters with stone capitals and bases divide the symmetrical facade into five bays. The centre bay is highlighted by a classical entrance, which is approached by a wide staircase of brick and stone. Tall engaged columns and pilasters in a modified Roman Doric arch frame the entry. Above the main doorway is the inscription “The Town of Port Credit Municipal Offices”. Four round-headed, fan lit windows are found on the main floor, while segmental square-headed sash windows are on the upper floor. One of the main floor windows has been converted into a door to allow for barrier-free access. In the centre, beneath a false wall front, is a double-hung segmental window. The crowning feature is the baroque-like curvilinear centre gable that breaks the otherwise straight silhouette of the roofline. A commemorative plaque is located in this centre gable. Two chimneys, one at either end of the main block, protrude their corbelled caps and chimney pots above the roof.
Tags: Port Credit Mississauga Ontario Canada A.R. Clarke Memorial Hall Auto_Focus Auto Focus Level 1 Music to My Eyes
© All Rights Reserved
Excerpt from www.stmarystarofthesea.ca: Roman Catholics, who emigrated to Canada from Ireland and settled in the Port Credit area, were zealous in their devotion towards God and their chosen faith. Arriving in the early 1800’s, with no priest or church in the immediate vicinity, they made long arduous trips to the Fifth line, to Trafalgar, or to St Paul’s in Toronto to attend mass and receive the sacraments.
In 1880, at a cost of $2000, the original St Mary Star of the Sea Church was completed with the sacristy added a few years later. It would remain a mission church of St Patrick’s Church in Dixie until 1914, at which time it became a separate parish. In order to help the fledgling church with finances, St Mary’s was also given a mission church in Streetsville. A rectory was added during this time.
The church community continued to grow until the church became too small for the parish. In 1952, Monsignor Sheridan turned the first sod and blessed and laid the cornerstone for a new church. The stained glass windows from the original church were placed in the new church which was officially opened in 1953 by His Eminence Cardinal McGuigan of Toronto. The old church was renovated and served for many years as a convent for the Grey Sisters of the Immaculate Conception.
The new rectory was added to the back of the church in 1960.
Before the 75th Anniversary celebrations in 1989, extensive renovations began to the nave and sanctuary. In 1995, air conditioning was added along with an elevator for the disabled and a remodelled basement.
Tags: St. Mary Star of the Sea Roman Catholic Church Places of Worship Port Credit Mississauga Ontario Canada
© All Rights Reserved