Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Snuffy / Sets / Kingston, ON
54 items

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Tags:   ontario cans2s Canada Military College of Canada Kingston National Historic Site UNESCO World Heritage Site Rideau Canal and Kingston Fortifications West Tower Kingston Fortifications National Historic Site

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Built with the same design used at Cape Martello in Corsica in 1796. The round shape was supposed to deflect the canon balls, and the high and small windows made it almost impossible to penetrate.

Tags:   ontario Old_City Canada Murney Tower Martello Tower Kingston Top 150 Unusual Things to See in Ontario National Historic Site UNESCO World Heritage Site Rideau Canal and Kingston Fortifications Kingston Fortifications National Historic Site

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from "2013 Walking Tours of Kingston": George Browne and William Coverdale designed City Hall. This magnificent building was built in 1842 to 1844 as a public market building as well as for town offices. Also in the building were the Royal Mail Post Office, the Customs Office, public meeting halls, a library, the police station and cells, a print shop and restaurants. On the lower level there were also offices to be rented to lawyers and brokers. It also had a room where citizens could come and read the latest newspapers. The building is Paladian in style, with each side of the facade being a mirrow image of the other. It has an imposing Tuscan portico. As built, the dome had no clock faces and no glass "lantern" on top. Its imposing facade faced the waterfront because visitors to the city usually arrived by ship.....The city government and a public meeting hall now occupy the entire building.

Tags:   ontario Canada City Hall Kingston National Historic Site Music to My Eyes

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from www.stgeorgescathedral.ca:
The present St. George’s building dates from 1825. It was a simple stone church with a steeple in front. It was designed by Thomas Rogers, the first practising architect in Kingston. Galleries were built on three sides of the nave (the main portion of the church, where the parishioners sit) on the inside of the church. The building was enlarged beginning in 1839. The steeple was replaced because it was too weak to support the swinging of the heavy bell. The present King Street portico and bell tower, including a stone narthex (lobby) to support it, were completed in 1846. The narthex contains three circular rooms. The centre one gave access to the nave while those on the sides contained stairs to the galleries. The portico design features large Roman Doric columns and Georgian doors. St. George’s may be the earliest Canadian church to have a stone portico. The bell tower is octagonal at the bottom, round in the middle with Corinthian colonettes and octagonal again above that. The upper octagonal portion has four clock faces. The top of the tower is a ribbed dome. William Coverdale designed this addition. St. George’s became the Cathedral of the new diocese of Ontario in 1862. A bishop’s chair (cathedra in Latin) was consequently placed near the altar. Work to enlarge the Cathedral was done in 1891-94. In general, the design reflects the influence of St. Paul’s in London and of Holy Trinity in Québec City. Joseph Power, the son of John Power, designed the addition that included the transepts with galleries and a Sanctuary that included space for the choir. From the air, the transepts give the Cathedral the shape of a cross. The addition also included the organ loft, Lady Chapel and Stuart Room.

Tags:   St. George's Anglican Cathedral Places of Worship Kingston Ontario Canada

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from www.historicplaces.ca: The Kingston Customs House National Historic Site of Canada is a handsome two-storey neoclassical building erected between 1856 and 1859 by the Province of Canada. It is constructed of limestone and is situated in the centre of the city of Kingston on a block shared by the former Kingston Post Office and a limestone stable associated with the two public buildings. It is part of a cluster of 19th-century public and commercial buildings, including the Kingston City Hall, in the immediate vicinity.

Tags:   Kingston Ontario Canada Kingston Custom House National Historic Site **Heart Awards** National Historic Site of Canada Music to My Eyes


9.3%