Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Snuffy / Sets / Humber College, Toronto, ON
6 items

N 3 B 1.9K C 19 E May 15, 2013 F May 15, 2013
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

The Lakeshore Campus is located at the former Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital, originally known as Mimico Hospital for the Insane. The hospital was designed by architect Kivas Tully whose work includes the Customs House, Trinity College, and the Bank of Montreal on Yonge and Front. It was officially opened on September 21st, 1889. These Gothic and Romanesque style buildings and grounds were intended to be an utopian setting for psychiatric care. By 1990, the asylum was closed and Humber Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning converted it into an educational institution with enrollment of 8,000 students.

Left to Right: Assembly Hall, G Building, K Building (front), K Building (back).
K Building is used by Humber Students' Federation and Student Services; G Building is for future development and is presently not in use. The Assembly Hall is owned by the City of Toronto. This century-old building reopened in June 2001 as a multi-purpose community cultural centre, offering a performance hall, community meeting rooms and gallery space.

Tags:   Humber College Lakeshore Campus Etobicoke Toronto Ontario Canada Doors Open

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

The Centre is dedicated to the teaching of Crime Scene Investigation. The 18,000 square feet building includes a 65-seat lecture theatre, built around a simulated one-bedroom apartment for the re-enactment of crime scenes, a forensic studio, and four interviewing rooms. The fa├žade features an aluminum screen with oblique proportions and a lush green living wall.

Tags:   Centre for Justice Leadership Humber College Lakeshore Campus Etobicoke Toronto Ontario Canada Doors Open Remember That Moment FlickrsTrueReflection_1 Remember That Moment Level 1 Music to My Eyes

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from jeantweed.com:

This Victorian brick house has been 'home away from home' for women attending residential programs at the Centre. Two-and-a-half stories high, with a gable roof and roundhead windows, Cumberland House has been identified as an important heritage structure by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, and is listed in the Canadian Inventory of Historical Buildings. It was designed by Kivas Tully, a 19th century provincial architect, who also designed Victoria Hall, Cobourg (1860), the former Trinity College (1852) and numerous other buildings across Ontario. The house was named in honour of the first superintendent of the Lakeshore Asylum, who resided there during his tenure.

Tags:   Cumberland House Humber College Toronto Ontario Canada

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Tags:   Colonel Samuel Smith Skating Trail Colonel Samuel Smith Park Humber College Etobicoke Toronto Ontario Canada Auto_Focus Auto Focus Level 1

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

The Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital was a psychiatric hospital located in the town of New Toronto, Ontario (now part of the City of Toronto). The hospital grounds now form part of Humber College's Lakeshore Campus.

The hospital was built in 1888. as the Mimico Asylum. The doors officially opened on January 21, 1889.

The original idea for the hospital's design of a cottage system was Doctor Joseph Workman who wanted a hospital that would not feel like an institution. The architect for the site was Kivas Tully, who worked with gardener Samuel Matheson, designed the original facility under the supervision of the Superintendent of the Queen Street Asylum, Dr. Daniel K. Clark.

Most of the buildings were built by the patients themselves. Patients also helped with the laundry and tended to the gardens.

The Assembly Hall, now operated by the City of Toronto, was built by the patients in 1898 as a recreation location for the patients, staff, and the public. Sunday worship services were also conducted at the Assembly Hall.

The hospital also had its own cemetery, located in the vicinity of Evans Avenue and Horner Avenue. The cemetery contained the remains of 1,511 former patients of the hospital.

A powerhouse for the site was built in the 1930s to provide heat for the cottages.

After several decades of use, the hospital was renovated starting in 1959 by then superintendent, Doctor H.C Moorehouse.

The site was closed as a hospital on September 1, 1979 with the last 280 patients being transferred to other sites. The decision to close the site was due to its needing to be renovated again. At its height in 1950, the hospital housed 1,391 patients.

In 1988, the site was designated as a historic property.

In 1991, Humber College signed a 99-year lease on the property. The College then started renovating the cottages for use as offices and classrooms. By April 2015, all but the Administration building, known as Building G were renovated. This last cottage underwent restoration and was opened in September 2016 as the Centre for Entrepreneurship.

All of the cottages have been rebuilt by Humber College for their purposes.

In 1999, the former Gatehouse was rebuilt and became a supportive centre for children.

The former powerhouse now has an outdoor skating ring beside it and the building itself has change rooms and washrooms for those using who wish to skate.

The former Superintendent's residence is now part of the Jane Tweed Centre.

The Assembly Hall was renovated in 2000 and opened to the public in 2001. It is now operated by the City of Toronto.

The grounds are now open to the public as a park.

A Tim Hortons occupies the former Carriage House.

A new Welcome Centre was built and opened in September 2016. The Registrar's Office, Health and Career Services have been relocated in this new building.

The hospital was opened as the Mimico Asylum, but changed names several times over the years, becoming the Mimico Insane Asylum in 1894, the Mimico Hospital for the Insane in 1911, the Ontario Hospital (Mimico) in 1920, the Ontario Hospital, New Toronto in 1934, before finally becoming the Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital in 1964.

Tags:   Superintendent's House Former Lunatic Asylum G Building Centre for Entrepreneuership Humber College 17-3155 Lake Shore Blvd. West Toronto Etobicoke Ontario Canada Top 150 Unusual Things to See in Ontario Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital Mimico Asylum Photography Vision Music to My Eyes


83.3%