Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Snuffy / Sets / Slovenia
61 items

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

The General Maister Monument is a bronze equestrian statue of Rudolf Maister that stands in a park at Liberation Front Square (Trg Osvobodilne fronte) in front of the Ljubljana railway station. It was created in 1999 by Jakov Brdar as a tribute of the City of Ljubljana to Maister, the first Slovene major general, who secured for Slovenia the city of Maribor.

Tags:   Ljubljana Slovenia General Maister Monument Level 1-Photography for Recreation

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

The Butchers' Bridge (Slovene: Mesarski most) is a footbridge crossing the river Ljubljanica in Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia. It connects the Ljubljana Central Market and the Petkovšek Embankment. The bridge was solemnly opened on 10 July 2010.

The original idea for a bridge on the site was expressed in the 1930s by the architect Jože Plečnik. The modern bridge, which is far more simple than the original plan, features a staircase at its left entry, a glass walking belts at the sides, and two fences with steel wires and wide top shelves. It was designed by Jurij Kobe from the Atelier Arhitekti studio. It is decorated with works by the sculptor Jakov Brdar.

One of the largest sculptures on the bridge represent figures from Ancient Greek and Christian/Jewish mythology is Adam and Eve, shamed and banished from Paradise, after having been induced by the Serpent to taste from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil (they are walking towards Ljubljana Cathedral).

Tags:   Ljubljana Slovenia Adam and Eve Butcher's Bridge Mesarski most

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Tags:   Ljubljana Slovenia Napoleon Monument French Revolution Square Elite Club

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

The Cobblers' Bridge or the Shoemakers' Bridge (Slovene: Čevljarski most or Šuštarski most) is a pedestrian bridge crossing the river Ljubljanica in Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia. It connects two major areas of medieval Ljubljana. It is decorated by two kinds of pillars, the Corinthian pillars which delineate the shape of the bridge itself and the Ionic pillars as lamp-bearers.

It is one of the oldest bridges crossing the river in Ljubljana, and dates back to at least the 13th century. In the Middle Ages it was known as the Upper Bridge (Zgornji most). It started as a wooden bridge with a butcher shop on it, but the stench from the meat was so strong that the Emperor at the time paid to have them relocated. Shoemakers were the new occupiers of their booths, so the bridge gained its present name. The bridge has been reconstructed on numerous occasions throughout its long history due to floods or fires, and in 1867 a cast-iron bridge, named Hradecky Bridge after a former mayor of Ljubljana, was built and later relocated.

The current stone bridge was designed in 1931 by the architect Jože Plečnik. In 2010, next to the bridge a monument to Ivan Hribar, mayor of Ljubljana between 1895 and 1907, was unveiled.

Tags:   Ljubljana Slovenia Cobbler's Bridge Čevljarski most Šuštarski most


8.2%