Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Snuffy / Sets / Transportation in Toronto, ON
77 items

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

Peter Witt streetcar was introduced by Cleveland Railway commissioner Peter Witt (1869-1948) who lead the transit agency from 1911-1915 and who designed a model of streetcar known by his name, and used in many North American cities, most notably in Toronto and Cleveland.

The design was distinguished from other streetcars of the era by its use of the center door as an exit only, with a conductor stationed inside just in front of the door. Passengers could board through the front doors without waiting or paying; they could pay the conductor immediately and sit in the rear of the car (in the nicer seats), or wait in front and pay just before they exit. This had the effect of reducing the car's dwell time at stops, improving schedule times and increasing capacity. Many vehicles were later converted to pay-as-you-enter operation in order to reduce the number of staff needed, but they continued to be known as Peter Witt cars.

The Toronto Transit Commission version was built under license by Canada Car and Foundry of Montreal. A small number were also built by the Ottawa Car Company and the Preston Car Company. Between 1921 and 1923, 575 of these streetcars were ordered by the TTC for use on Toronto streets.

The Peter Witts ran on the busiest streetcar routes, and were heavily used until they were replaced by the Yonge and University subway lines. Those still in use were officially retired in 1965.

Although most of the cars were scrapped, one was retained for historic purposes, and in 2001 the Toronto Transit Commission budgeted $100,000 to have it restored to its original condition.

Tags:   TTC Toronto Transit Commission Hillcrest Complex Harvey and Duncan Shops Toronto Ontario Canada Peter Witt Streetcar

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

This car is run on Sundays along the Lakeshore.

Tags:   Sights Toronto Ontario Canada TTC Toronto Transit Commission Street Car Presidents' Conference Committee PCC

N 39 B 4.8K C 34 E Sep 19, 2015 F Sep 21, 2015
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from Wikipedia: The "PCC" in this car's name comes from the name of a design committee formed in 1929 as the Presidents' Conference Committee and renamed the Electric Railway Presidents' Conference Committee (ERPCC) in 1931. This group's membership consisted mostly of representatives of some of the larger operators of urban electric street railways in the United States.

The TTC version was built in Montreal, Quebec by Canadian Car & Foundry under license from the St. Louis Car Company of St. Louis, Missouri.

Of the 745 PCC streetcars the TTC owned—the largest fleet in North America—only two remain in operation. Cars 4500 and 4549 display their original 1951 fleet numbers, although renumbered 4604 and 4605 for record-keeping purposes after rebuilding in 1989. Classified A-15H (for Historic), the two cars are retained for charter service, although they often operate on summer Sundays on the 509 Harbourfront route.

Most of the PCC streetcars owned by the TTC were purchased new, although 225 were purchased secondhand from other transit companies as their PCC fleets were withdrawn from service. Many of the TTC's retired PCC cars were purchased by other organizations.

Tags:   TTC Toronto Transit Commission Hillcrest Complex Harvey and Duncan Shops Toronto Ontario Canada PCC Presidents Conference Committee Streetcar

N 2 B 562 C 10 E Mar 17, 2006 F Mar 16, 2006
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

TTC = Toronto Transit Commission.

Tags:   toronto Ontario Canada Transportation MusicToMyEyesLevel1 Canadian Light Rail Vehicles CLRVS Nice As It Gets-Level 1 Music to My Eyes

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

The Russell Carhouse, located at Queen Street East and Connaught Avenue just east of Greenwood Avenue in Toronto, is the Toronto Transit Commission's second oldest carhouse.

Russell Carhouse was built in 1913 by the Toronto Railway Company as a paint shop. When the King Carhouse burnt down in 1916, the Russell was rapidly turned into a carhouse.

Tags:   TTC Russell Yard Toronto Transit Commission TTC 1433 Queen Street East Toronto Ontario Canada Russell Carhouse East York Level 1 The Best of Day


6.5%