The Old Town Hall was designed by architect H. B. Sinclair in Italianate style, and was meant to reflect Galt's rapid growth, prosperity and influence in the region. Construction began in May 1857, and completed in November 1858. Galt limestone was used for the base and trim, and split fieldstone was used on the upper floors. The bell was placed in the tower in 1863. The Jubilee Clock was placed in the tower in 1897 in honour of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.