The village of Glen Williams is believed to have established a school in 1830. The early schools were usually in the home of one of the families involved. As the number of scholars rose (a fee was payable) the need for a separate building arose. Asmall frame and plaster building, which still stands east of 6Prince Street, is believed to have been built as the school housein 1837. In 1840 John Collingwasthe school teacher.