Built around 1750 by the Blydenburghs, the building was purchased by Judge Smith as his family home and office. As his health failed, the Court was moved from Riverhead and cases were tried in his personal chambers. Finished as it would have appeared during the Judge’s ownership, this house is currently used for school programs and educational events.
Tags: Judge John Lawrence Smith Homestead Smithtown Long Island New York Smithtown Historical Society
Built in 1740 before the Revolutionary War, the tavern originally stood just west of the juncture of Middle Country and North Country Roads. The site was a popular stop on the Brooklyn to Sag Harbor stagecoach route during the 1770s. During the Revolutionary War, the tavern often played host to British soldiers. It has been moved twice before - in 1911 & 1921 - and found its current destination in 1972 half a mile from its original location. The building's oldest parts date to the 1600s, but the main portion was built around 1740. The Tavern was also altered during the 19th and 20th centuries, but has kept its Colonial integrity.
Information courtesy of the Smithtown Historical Society.
Tags: Smithtown Historical Society Epenetus Smith Tavern Smithtown Long Island New York