The Imperial Granum-Joseph Parker Buildings, also known as the Del Monico Building, are a pair of conjoined historic commercial buildings at Elm and Orange Streets in New Haven. Built in 1875 and 1877, the two buildings are among the finest examples of the architecture of that period in the city. The building on the right - the Imperial Granum Building - has one of the city's only surviving cast iron facades.
Tags: Imperial Granum-Joseph Parker Buildings New Haven Connecticut
The Hall was completed in 1927 as a gift from Harkness and his family. It is a Collegiate Gothic building of Aquia sandstone with Ohio sandstone trim that houses the Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures and contains lecture and recitation rooms and offices for the Departments of French, German and Music.
Originally from Ohio, William Harkness (1858 - 1919) was an American businessman. On his father's death in 1896, he inherited a large share in Standard Oil. In 1881, he graduated from Yale University and 5 years later moved to New York. When he died in 1919, he left an estate of $53,439,437 ($707,636,614 today), of which $37,272,254 was stock in Standard Oil. Shortly before his death, he donated $400,000 to Yale.
Tags: William L. Harkness Hall Yale University New Haven Connecticut.