St Mary the Virgin Church in Chislet, Kent is unusual in the sense that it is a very large church for a very tiny hamlet with only a few houses. It was built on high ground overlooking the nearby marshland between Chislet and the Isle of Thanet. The church is also quite unusual in design with a very distinctive tower that was built by the Normans just after 1066.
Originally built in about 1294, the tower was constructed in the 15th Century and there was some renovation in the Victorian era. The whole exterior is constructed of Kent flint. The Parish of Chartham was given to the monks of Christ Church, Canterbury after their monastery had been sacked by marauding Danes.
The first church on the site was probably built in the early 800s, but after the Norman Conquest in 1066, it was replaced by a Romanesque stone structure which was enlarged as the parish increased until it reached its present size in the early 1510s.