Broadway Tower was the brainchild of the great 18th century landscape designer, Capability Brown. His vision was carried out for George William 6th Earl of Coventry with the help of renowned architect James Wyatt and completed in 1798.
The location for the Tower was wisely chosen, a dramatic outlook on a pre-medieval trading route and beacon hill.
Wyatt designed his "Saxon Tower" as an eccentric amalgamation of architectural components ranging from turrets, battlements and gargoyles to balconies.
Throughout the centuries, Broadway Tower has always inspired and with this inspiration came a large number of uses, such as home to the printing press of Sir Thomas Phillips, perhaps the greatest collector of manuscripts and books in history.
St. Eadburgha was the daughter of King Edward the Elder whose father was King Alfred the Great.
The church has been a place of worship since Saxon times. The story goes that as a child, Eadburgha was offered jewels or a Bible as a gift. She chose the latter (silly girl) and dedicated her life to the service of God.
The present cruciform church dates back to the 12th century and contains some fine medieval stonework and Jacobean woodwork.