Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Paul Anthony Moore / Sets / Fordwich, Kent
Paul Anthony Moore / 26 items

N 1 B 339 C 4 E Mar 14, 2011 F Mar 14, 2011
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Fordwich near Canterbury is the smallest place in Britain with a town council. It has a population of 351. The town grew in the Middle Ages as a port for boats on their way upriver to Canterbury. All of the Caen stone used by the Normans to rebuild Canterbury Cathedral in the 12th and 13th centuries was landed at Fordwich. The Town Hall is supposedly the smallest in England and was rebuilt in 1555.

N 1 B 1.4K C 7 E Mar 11, 2011 F Feb 24, 2013
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Fordwich near Canterbury is the smallest place in Britain with a town council and has a population of around 350 people.

Although it now lies many miles inland, it was once the main port for Canterbury before the Wantsum Channel silted up. The Channel separated the Isle of Thanet from the rest of Kent.

Fordwich grew in the Middle Ages as a port for boats on their way upriver to Canterbury. The Caen stone used by the Normans to rebuild Canterbury Cathedral in the 12th and 13th centuries was landed at Fordwich. It later became a limb of the Cinque Ports, but lost its status as a town in 1880 when it no longer had a Mayor and Corporation. However, in a reorganisation in 1972, Fordwich was again made a Town, mainly due to its prior importance in what is now a rather sleepy corner of Kent.

Fordwich Town Hall, the smallest Town Hall in England, dates from medieval times and was rebuilt in 1555. The ancient Church of St Mary the Virgin (see photo) is now redundant and in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. It contains part of a carved sarcophagus reputed to have contained the remains of St Augustine of Canterbury.

There are two pubs in the town, the George & Dragon and Fordwich Arms. Fordwich is also known as the home of a legendary large fish: the Fordwich trout.

Adapted from Wikipedia.

Tags:   St Mary the Virgin Fordwich Kent England

N 0 B 159 C 0 E Mar 11, 2011 F Mar 11, 2011
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

The central arches lean inwards.

Fordwich near Canterbury is the smallest place in Britain with a town council. It has a population of 351. The town grew in the Middle Ages as a port for boats on their way upriver to Canterbury. All of the Caen stone used by the Normans to rebuild Canterbury Cathedral in the 12th and 13th centuries was landed at Fordwich. The Town Hall is supposedly the smallest in England and was rebuilt in 1555.

The ancient parish church of St Mary the Virgin (11th to 14th centuries) contains part of a carved sarcophagus reputed to have contained the remains of St Augustine of Canterbury.

N 2 B 205 C 4 E Mar 11, 2011 F Mar 11, 2011
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

Fordwich near Canterbury is the smallest place in Britain with a town council. It has a population of 351. The town grew in the Middle Ages as a port for boats on their way upriver to Canterbury. All of the Caen stone used by the Normans to rebuild Canterbury Cathedral in the 12th and 13th centuries was landed at Fordwich. The Town Hall is supposedly the smallest in England and was rebuilt in 1555.

The ancient parish church of St Mary the Virgin (11th to 14th centuries) contains part of a carved sarcophagus reputed to have contained the remains of St Augustine of Canterbury. This view of the church is the only one possible as the building is completely surrounded by trees.

N 0 B 176 C 0 E Mar 11, 2011 F Mar 11, 2011
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

The central arches lean inwards.

Fordwich near Canterbury is the smallest place in Britain with a town council. It has a population of 351. The town grew in the Middle Ages as a port for boats on their way upriver to Canterbury. All of the Caen stone used by the Normans to rebuild Canterbury Cathedral in the 12th and 13th centuries was landed at Fordwich. The Town Hall is supposedly the smallest in England and was rebuilt in 1555.

The ancient parish church of St Mary the Virgin (11th to 14th centuries) contains part of a carved sarcophagus reputed to have contained the remains of St Augustine of Canterbury. This view of the church is the only one possible as the building is completely surrounded by trees.


19.2%