Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Paul Anthony Moore / Sets / Ospringe, Kent
Paul Moore / 21 items

N 2 B 1.1K C 9 E Aug 28, 2010 F Aug 28, 2010
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

The Maison Dieu (House of God) in Ospringe near Faversham was founded in 1235 by King Henry III and was run by the Knights Templar. It formed part of a hospital, royal lodge and almshouse and had a "Camera Regis" for the King's use when he was going to France by way of Dover. With the dissolution of the monasteries (by Henry VIII in 1516), it was given to St. John's-College, Cambridge. Countless crowned heads, English and European, stayed here overnight on their way to and from London and Dover.

N 0 B 404 C 4 E Aug 29, 2010 F Aug 29, 2010
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

The kitchen. Note the stone floor and beautiful original ceiling (see other photo).

This image comprises two photos stitched with Hugin.

The Maison-Dieu (House of God) in Ospringe (near Faversham) was founded in 1235 by King Henry III and was run by the Knights Templar. It had a " Camera Regis" for the King's use when he was going to France by way of Dover. With the dissolution of monasteries (Henry VIII, 1516), it was given to St. John's-College, Cambridge. Countless crowned heads, English and European, stayed here overnight on their way to or from London and Dover.

N 0 B 264 C 1 E Aug 29, 2010 F Aug 29, 2010
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

The beautiful original ceiling in the kitchen.

The Maison-Dieu (House of God) in Ospringe (near Faversham) was founded in 1235 by King Henry III and was run by the Knights Templar. It had a " Camera Regis" for the King's use when he was going to France by way of Dover. With the dissolution of monasteries (Henry VIII, 1516), it was given to St. John's-College, Cambridge. Countless crowned heads, English and European, stayed here overnight on their way to or from London and Dover.

N 0 B 270 C 0 E Aug 29, 2010 F Aug 29, 2010
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

Beautiful brick floor leading to the kitchen.

The Maison-Dieu (House of God) in Ospringe (near Faversham) was founded in 1235 by King Henry III and was run by the Knights Templar. It had a " Camera Regis" for the King's use when he was going to France by way of Dover. With the dissolution of monasteries (Henry VIII, 1516), it was given to St. John's-College, Cambridge. Countless crowned heads, English and European, stayed here overnight on their way to or from London and Dover.

N 1 B 301 C 4 E Aug 29, 2010 F Aug 29, 2010
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

The Great Hall (now used to display Roman artefacts found in the area).

This image comprises two photos stitched with Hugin.

The Maison-Dieu (House of God) in Ospringe (near Faversham) was founded in 1235 by King Henry III and was run by the Knights Templar. It had a " Camera Regis" for the King's use when he was going to France by way of Dover. With the dissolution of monasteries (Henry VIII, 1516), it was given to St. John's-College, Cambridge. Countless crowned heads, English and European, stayed here overnight on their way to or from London and Dover.


23.8%