Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Paul Anthony Moore / Sets / Faversham, Kent
Paul Anthony Moore / 58 items

N 0 B 762 C 0 E Apr 16, 2010 F Apr 16, 2010
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Faversham Creek is a navigatable, tidal creek that runs south off the Thames estuary some 6 miles west of Whitstable on the North Kent Marshes.

Without the Creek, Faversham would never have existed. Its value for the discharge and loading of cargoes was recognised in prehistoric times when a settlement was established not far from Standard Quay. A Roman villa came next, and 1,000 years later, in 1147, the building of a huge Abbey began nearby. Stone for this was imported from France through the Creek.

Tags:   Faversham Creek Faversham Kent England

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

The church stands on a ridge above Stonebridge Pond. It is the oldest existing building in the Faversham area and was construction in the second half of the twelfth century. It forms part of a Priory which was founded in 1153 for a prioress and her 26 Benedictine nuns. The priory has been the home of Bob Geldof for many years.

Tags:   St Mary Magdalene and St Lawrence Davington Davington Priory Faversham Kent England

N 2 B 1.8K C 4 E Dec 19, 2010 F Dec 19, 2010
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

The Maison Dieu (House of God) in Ospringe near Faversham was founded in 1235 by King Henry III and was run by the Knights Templar. It formed part of a hospital, royal lodge and almshouse and had a "Camera Regis" for the King's use when he was going to France by way of Dover. With the dissolution of the monasteries (by Henry VIII in 1516), it was given to St. John's-College, Cambridge. Countless crowned heads, English and European, stayed here overnight on their way to and from London and Dover.

Photo taken on 11 December 2010

Tags:   Maison Dieu (Knights Templar Hospital of St. Mary) Ospringe Faversham

N 1 B 1.2K C 5 E Apr 23, 2010 F Apr 23, 2010
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Oyster Bay House, also known as the Big Building, started life in around 1845 as a store for hops awaiting transport by sailing barge to London.

Taken just before dusk on 22 April.

Tags:   Faversham Kent

N 1 B 873 C 6 E Nov 4, 2010 F Nov 4, 2010
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

Almshouses are charitable housing, usually for elderly people who can no longer work to pay rent. They were established in the 10th century in Britain to provide a place of residence for poor, old and distressed folk.

The first recorded almshouse was founded in York by King Athelstan, and the oldest still in existence is the Hospital of St. Cross in Winchester which was built in 1132. In the Middle Ages, the majority of European hospitals functioned as almshouses.

In Faversham, Almshouses for six widows were founded by Thomas Mendfield in 1614. In 1721, Thomas Napleton founded houses for six men. In 1840, Henry Wreight, a local solicitor and former Mayor of Faversham, gave a bequest which enabled the rebuilding of the almshouses on a grand scale. The work was completed in 1863.


8.6%