Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Paul Anthony Moore / Sets / Canterbury
Paul Anthony Moore / 187 items

N 1 B 1.3K C 4 E Jan 29, 2011 F Jan 29, 2011
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

This is one of a series of photos that I took in Canterbury Bookbinders yesterday (28 January). These are some of the finishing tools that are used to put gold leaf onto the covers and spines of hand-bound books.

N 0 B 1.9K C 2 E Jul 8, 2010 F Jul 8, 2010
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Around 1220, Alexander de Gloucester undertook major alterations to what had previously been a stone house inhabited ca.1174 by Godwin Grom and Gerald the tanner, then by wealthy minter Lambin Frese, next by Adam de Charing, and later (from 1207) by Lambin's son. Alexander converted it into an almshouse, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, for looking after poor or elderly priests. The former residence served as the hall, where the priests lived, ate and slept, around a central hearth; this is the left-hand section in the photo above. A solar and undercroft – the central portion of the building in the photo – was added ca.1373, the solar serving as the private room of the master of the hospital.

The chapel of St. Mary was built at right angles to the main building, with a kitchen at its rear. The chimney stack is, of course, a later addition, as are the windows, added when the chapel open to the roof was divided by adding two upper floors; an upper floor was added to the great hall at the same time. The hospital ceased to have a religious function in 1575. In post-medieval times the building was converted to secular uses, such as school, poorhouse, workhouse, and clinic; in the 1980s it was turned into a museum of local history, many surviving medieval features – such as the crown-post roof support structure – being restored to view in the process.

Courtesy of: users.trytel.com/~tristan/towns/florilegium/popreli21.html

Tags:   Poor Priests Hospital and the chapel of St. Mary Canterbury Kent

N 0 B 605 C 2 E Apr 28, 2010 F Apr 28, 2010
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

An old pub in the center of Canterbury.

N 0 B 1.8K C 12 E Feb 26, 2010 F Feb 26, 2010
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Canterbury Castle was one of the three original royal Norman castles of Kent (the other two were at Rochester and Dover). Along with the others, it was built very soon after the Battle of Hastings and was located on the main Roman road from Dover to London - the route taken by William the Conqueror in October 1066. The castle was probably built in the winter of 1066–67.

Taken on 26 February 2010.

Tags:   Canterbury Castle Canterbury Kent

N 0 B 267 C 2 E Jan 11, 2011 F Jan 11, 2011
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

The weather man said it was going to be clear but windy today. Yeah, right!


2.7%