Built around 1180, this was a place where poor pilgrims could find shelter. It is a hospital in the old sense of the word - a place of hospitality. It has never been used as a medical hospital.
Since its foundation in the 12th century, the Archbishop of Canterbury has been the patron. In recent years, the Master of Eastbridge was also the Parish Priest of the City Centre. This link has now ceased, but the Master continues as patron of the local parish of Blean near Canterbury where the hospital still owns a small area of land from its medieval farms.
For 800 years, Eastbridge has given shelter and help to pilgrims, soldiers, local societies and schoolchildren. For over 400 years it has been a permanent home to a number of elderly people.