Vertical panorama (2 images, upper and lower) stitched with Hugin.
St. Augustine's original building lies beneath the floor of the nave. It was extensively rebuilt and enlarged by the Saxons, and the Cathedral was rebuilt completely by the Normans in 1070 following a major fire. There have been many additions to the building over the past nine hundred years, but parts of the quire and some of the windows and their stained glass date from the 12th century.
The Crypt dates back to the 11th Century, making it the oldest existing part of the Cathedral.