The Church of St Michael in the parish of Hernhill is situated on the top of a hill in the centre of the village.
There has been a Church in Hernhill since Saxon times. The Saxon wooden structure was replaced in 1120 by a stone and wood church dedicated to St Stephen. Masonry from the original 12th century building is still identifiable today in the south wall.
Much of the present stone and flint church was constructed in about 1450. It is one of a few wholly perpendicular churches in Kent. The Main Door into the church and the Bell Tower door are fine examples of 15th century joinery.