There has been a church in Hernhill since Saxon times. The Saxon wooden structure was replaced in 1120 by a stone and wood church dedicated to St Stephen. Masonry from the original 12th century building is still identifiable today in the south wall.
The present stone and flint church, dedicated to St Michael was constructed on the same site in about 1450. It is an excellent example of a purpose-built 15th century church and is one of a few wholly perpendicular churches in Kent. The Main Door into the church and the Bell Tower door are fine examples of 15th century joinery, as is the 16th century rood screen.