The chapel dates back to the 10th and 11th centuries with changes made in the 12th and 17th centuries. It was formerly called 'Ste Marie Rescluse' and was devoted to Saint Madeleine, the patroness of Christian hospitality. It was built on an ancient Roman and pilgrim road that later became the 6113. In the 12th century, the church was recorded as 'Beate Décimarium Rescluse Mary' (Saint Mary Recluse or penitent) in the Cathedral Chapter of Carcassonne, confirming that St. Madeleine was a parish before 1269. There was once a leper colony 300 meters from the chapel where the 'Mezels' (lepers in the Occitan language) lived. Then the hospital and houses disappeared leaving only the chapel and a cemetery. Excavations have revealed tombs dating from the 5th century.