Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / myoldpostcards
Randy von Liski / 14,735 items

N 91 B 389 C 19 E Apr 2, 2017 F Nov 25, 2020
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

A view of the Scully Building on the southwest corner of N. Kickapoo and Pekin St. in downtown Lincoln. It should be noted that all of the buildings in this view lie within the Lincoln Courthouse Square Historic District that was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.

The Scully Building is an example of Richardsonian Romanesque, a style of Romanesque Revival architecture named after architect Henry Hobson Richardson (1838-1886). Designed by architect E.S. Somers, the Scully Building was completed in 1909 for the son and widow of "Lord" William Scully as the headquarters for the Scully family operations. The building was used as both an office and living quarters.

William Scully (1821-1906), was one of the largest landowners of tenant farmland in the Midwest. He eventually owned a total of 211,000 acres in Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska, including 30,000 acres in Logan County. Additionally, Mr. Scully was a pioneer leader with respect to scientific farming; particularly with soil conservation practices and techniques.

The Scully Building is a "significant property" within the Lincoln Courthouse Square Historic District. Nearly destroyed in a 2001 fire, the Scully Building, under the ownership of Integrity Holdings, was restored between 2008 and 2010. In 2011, the building and its owners were awarded the Landmarks Illinois Richard H. Driehaus Foundation Preservation Award for rehabilitation and preservation. The building is now the home office of Integrity Data.

To the south (left) of the Scully Building in the 100 block of N. Kickapoo St. are two commercial structures worth noting. The red brick structure is a two story, two-part commercial, Italianate-style building constructed in 1890. Next to it is another two story, two-part commercial building with a stone facade. Constructed in 1895 for the Knights of Columbus, this Romanesque Revival building is similar in style to the Scully Building. Within the historic district, the brick facade building is a contributing property, while the KOC building, like the Scully Building on the corner, is a significant property in Lincoln Courthouse Square Historic District.

Lincoln is the seat of Logan County, which is situated in central Illinois approximately 26 miles northeast of Springfield, the state capitol. The estimated population of Lincoln in 2018 was 13,685.

Tags:   Lincoln Logan County Central Illinois Illinois IL Street View 100 Block N. Kickapoo St Pekin St Commercial Architecture Scully Building Architectural Style Richardsonian Romanesque Architect Somers E.S. Somers William Scully 125 N. Kickapoo St. 121-123 N. Kickapoo St Italianate 117-119 N. Kickapoo St. Romanesque Revival Contributing Property Significant Property Lincoln Courthouse Square Historic District National Register of Historic Places NRHP Reference # 85003166 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

N 108 B 474 C 26 E Nov 2, 2020 F Nov 24, 2020
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

This view looks south from Pekin St. at the 100 block of N. Kickapoo St. in downtown Lincoln. One block ahead is the west side of Lincoln's courthouse square. All of the buildings in this view lie within the Lincoln Courthouse Square Historic District that was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.

The most notable structure in this scene is the two-story, red stone Scully Building on the corner. The Scully Building is an example of Richardsonian Romanesque, a style of Romanesque Revival architecture named after architect Henry Hobson Richardson (1838-1886).

Designed by architect E.S. Somers, the Scully Building was completed in 1909 for the son and widow of "Lord" William Scully as the headquarters for the Scully family operations. The building was used as both an office and living quarters. William Scully (1821-1906), was one of the largest landowners of tenant farmland in the Midwest. He eventually owned a total of 211,000 acres in Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska, including 30,000 acres in Logan County. Additionally, Mr. Scully was a pioneer leader with respect to scientific farming; particularly with soil conservation practices and techniques.

The Scully Building is a "significant property" within the Lincoln Courthouse Square Historic District. Nearly destroyed in a 2001 fire, the Scully Building, under the ownership of Integrity Holdings, was restored between 2008 and 2010. In 2011, the building and its owners were awarded the Landmarks Illinois Richard H. Driehaus Foundation Preservation Award for rehabilitation and preservation. The building is now the home office of Integrity Data.

Lincoln is the seat of Logan County, which is situated in central Illinois approximately 26 miles northeast of Springfield, the state capitol. The estimated population of Lincoln in 2018 was 13,685.

Tags:   Lincoln Logan County Central Illinois Illinois IL Street View 100 Block N. Kickapoo St Pekin St Commercial Architecture Scully Building Architectural Style Romanesque Revival Richardsonian Romanesque Architect Somers E.S. Somers William Scully 125 N. Kickapoo St. Significant Property Lincoln Courthouse Square Historic District National Register of Historic Places NRHP Reference # 85003166 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

N 113 B 632 C 28 E Mar 1, 2020 F Nov 23, 2020
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

The Lincoln Public Library was completed in 1903 with a Carnegie grant in the amount of $25,000. This grant was the sixth of 105 grants in various amounts made by the Carnegie Foundation to Illinois communities between 1900-1916.

The Lincoln Public Library was designed by Chicago architect William A. Otis. It is a one-story, brick structure on a stone base built in neo-classical style with iconic column capitals, ornamental pediment, and stone quoins over the windows.

The library is listed twice on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). It was listed on its own in 1980, and is a significant structure within the Lincoln Courthouse Square Historic District, which was added to the NRHP in 1985.

Lincoln is the seat of Logan County, which is situated in central Illinois approximately 26 miles northeast of Springfield, the state capitol. The estimated population of Lincoln in 2018 was 13,685.

Tags:   Lincoln Logan County Central Illinois Illinois IL Library Public Library Carnegie Library Andrew Carnegie Architecture Architectural Style Neo-Classical Classical Revival Architect Otis W.A. Otis William A. Otis Lincoln Public Library 725 Pekin St. National Register of Historic Places NHRP Reference # 80001384 Significant Building Lincoln Courthouse Square Historic District NRHP 85003166 Libraries & Librarians Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

N 106 B 697 C 29 E Nov 2, 2020 F Nov 22, 2020
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

A view of the historic Chicago & Alton Railroad Station in Lincoln, Illinois. The Spanish Mission-style depot building was constructed in 1911 by the former Chicago & Alton Railroad, and later used by the Gulf, Mobile and Ohio Railroad and Amtrak. The former Chicago & Alton Railroad Station is a contributing property in the Lincoln Courthouse Square Historic District added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.

The station underwent a $4.1 million dollar renovation in 2016-17. Historic interior features include the original ticket counter, a scale used to weigh luggage and handsome woodwork. The depot building is now occupied by the Logan County Tourism Bureau, while the Amtrak station is located in the rail line's former freight depot, now connected by a breezeway, that was also renovated in 2017.

Lincoln is the seat of Logan County, which is situated in central Illinois approximately 26 miles northeast of Springfield, the state capitol. The estimated population of Lincoln in 2018 was 13,685.

Tags:   Lincoln Logan County Central Illinois Illinois IL Former Chicago & Alton C&A Railroad Station Amtrak Historic Landmark Architectural Style Spanish Mission-style Mission Logan County Tourism Bureau Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Season Winter U.S. Route 66 101 N. Chicago St Contributing Building Lincoln Courthouse Square Historic District National Register of Historic Places NRHP Reference # 85003166 5D Mark IV

N 137 B 915 C 40 E Nov 2, 2020 F Nov 21, 2020
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

A view of the 100 block of S. Chicago St. looking south toward Pulaski St. in downtown Lincoln. The buildings in this view lie within the Lincoln Courthouse Square Historic District that was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.

Every commercial building seen in this photo was constructed in the late 19th century, and all of the structures are or were originally Italianate designs. As a matter of fact, the only non-contributing building to the historic district is the building second from left with the red barn design. Originally an Italianate design when it was built c. 1890, the remodeled facade has made its historic architectural attributes basically unrecognizable.

Lincoln is the seat of Logan County, which is situated in central Illinois approximately 26 miles northeast of Springfield, the state capitol. The estimated population of Lincoln in 2018 was 13,685.

Tags:   Lincoln Logan County Central Illinois Illinois IL Street View Commercial Architecture Late 19th-Century Architectural Style Italianate 112 S. Chicago St 114 S. Chicago St 116 S. Chicago St 118 S. Chicago St 120 S. Chicago St 122 S. Chicago St 124-126 S. Chicago St 128-130 S. Chicago St 200 S. Chicago St Non-Contributing Contributing Significant Building Lincoln Courthouse Square Historic District National Register of Historic Places NRHP Reference # 85003166 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV


5 of 14,735