Patterned after the East Indian Pavilion at the Columbian World Exposition held in Chicago in 1893, Glendale Industrialist Leslie E. Brand (who brought the Pacific Electric to Glendale in 1904) built his 'castle' in the Saracenic Style, combining Spanish, Moorish and Indian elements. A Victorian decor embellishes the interior.
Mr. Brand died at the castle in 1925. He bequeathed the property to the city on the condition that it be used exclusively for a public park and library. Today the Brand Castle and Library houses facilities for art exhibits, concerts and lectures and arts and crafts studios.