Architect Peter Sala designed the Classical Neo-Georgian style house for Wong K. Gew in 1921. Gew arrived in Stockton via New York in 1910. He was a partner in the Lincoln Hotel and owner of the Tong King Company and other Stockton gambling establishments. Gew was known for breaking down cultural and racial barriers, including hiring a Caucasian architect to design his home, as well as the fact that he was a well-respected Chinese businessman who had money and owned a car. The house was designated a Stockton landmark in 1973 (No. 15) and listed in the National Register of Historic Resources in 1978.