The Convent of Santa Teresa was built by Antonio Gomez do Desterro in 1629. The convent is located on top of the Santa Teresa hill and presents a magnificent view of the city. It is one of the few neighborhoods to resist development in order to retain its colonial charm. It is famous for its winding, narrow streets. The church can only be visited during mass. It is located adjacent to the New Tunnel shown here.