The Toll House was designed in the California Bungalow style by architect Charles and Eleanor Toll in 1912. The original owners played a significant role in the history of Los Angeles and of Glendale in particular. Charles H. Toll arrived to Los Angeles in 1885 and became vice-president of Security Trust and Savings Bank in 1906. In 1921, Toll was one of the organizers of the Glendale State Bank, serving as its president until 1923. Soon after his departure Security Trust and Savings bought out the bank. Eleanor Toll was a member of the faculty of Los Angeles High. She had a number of positions in the Parent Teacher Federation of Glendale (later PTA). She founded the Mutual Benefit Reading Circle in 1916, founded Glendale Beautiful, a civic improvement organization, and supported fund-raising efforts on behalf of a municipal orchestra (which later became the Glendale Symphony). In recognition of her years of service to the Glendale community, in 1926, following her death, the School Board of the city voted to change the name of a recently built school on Glenwood Road in West Glendale from Abraham Lincoln to Eleanor J. Toll Junior High.