Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Marcial Bernabéu / Sets / EXPLORED (Photos selected by Explore)
60 items

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Reino Unido de Gran Bretaña - Escocia - Isla de Skye - Kilt Rock

Tags:   Marcial Bernabeu Bernabéu UK United Kingdom United Kingdom Great Britain Scotland Isle Skye Isle of Skye Kilt Rock Kilt Rock Cliffs Sea Reino Unido Reino Unido Gran Bretaña Escocia Isla Isla de Skye Acantilados Mar Marc

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Reino Unido de Gran Bretaña - Escocia - Glasgow - Catedral

ENGLISH

Glasgow Cathedral, also called the High Kirk of Glasgow or St Kentigern's or St Mungo's Cathedral, is today a gathering of the Church of Scotland in Glasgow.

The title cathedral is honorific and historic, dating from the period before the Scottish Reformation and its former status as the Roman Catholic mother church of the Archdiocese of Glasgow and the cathedra of the Archbishop of Glasgow (which is now in St. Andrew's Cathedral, the present mother church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Glasgow). The current congregation is part of the Church of Scotland's Presbytery of Glasgow. Glasgow Cathedral is located north of High Street and east of Cathedral Street, beside the Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

The history of the cathedral is linked with that of the city, and is allegedly located where the patron saint of Glasgow, Saint Mungo, built his church. The tomb of the saint is in the lower crypt. Walter Scott's novel Rob Roy gives an account of the kirk.
Glasgow Cathedral, engraving by John Slezer, (1693)
An old postcard view of the Cathedral (1893)
Glasgow Cathedral choir

Built before the Reformation from the late 12th century onwards and serving as the seat of the Bishop and later the Archbishop of Glasgow, the building is a superb example of Scottish Gothic architecture. It is also one of the few Scottish medieval churches (and the only medieval cathedral on the Scottish mainland) to have survived the Reformation not unroofed.

James IV ratified the treaty of Perpetual Peace with England at the high altar on 10 December 1502. The cathedral and the nearby castle played a part in the battles of Glasgow in 1544 and 1560. Twenty years after the Reformation, on 22 April 1581 James VI granted the income from a number of lands to Glasgow town for the kirk's upkeep. He traced the ownership of these lands to money left by Archbishop Gavin Dunbar as a legacy for repairing the cathedral. The town council agreed on 27 February 1583 to take responsibility for repairing the kirk, while recording they had no obligation to do so. The church survives because of this resolution. Inside, the rood screen is also a very rare survivor in Scottish churches.

Technically, the building is no longer a cathedral, since it has not been the seat of a bishop since 1690. However, like many other pre-Reformation cathedrals in Scotland, it is still a place of active Christian worship, hosting a Church of Scotland congregation. The current minister (since 15 February 2007) is the Rev Laurence A. B. Whitley, PhD, who was previously minister at Montrose Old and St Andrew's Parish Church. The previous minister was the Very Rev William Morris, who was minister from 1967 until retiring in November 2005. The building itself is in the ownership of the Crown, is maintained by Historic Scotland, and is a popular destination for tourists.

*******************************************************************************

ESPAÑOL

La Catedral de Glasgow, también conocida como High Kirk de Glasgow o la catedral de San Mungo, es un templo de culto de la iglesia de Escocia además de un monumento histórico de Glasgow.

El título de catedral es honorífico e histórico, data desde el periodo anterior a la Reforma Escocesa, cuando era iglesia católica de la Archidiócesis de Glasgow y catedral del arzobispo de Glasgow. Actualmente pertenece a la congregación escocesa de los Presbiteros de Glasgow. Está al norte de la High Street y al este de la Cathedral Street. Fue el lugar donde se fundó la Universidad de Glasgow y en la actualidad sirve como sacristía.

La construcción en sí misma es propiedad pública. La organización Historic Scotland se encarga de su mantenimiento y es uno de los monumentos más visitados por los turistas en Glasgow. La entrada es gratuita.

Se empezó a construir como catedral en el 1136 durante el reinado de David I de Escocia], pero fue destruida varias veces por el fuego. Fue consagrada en 1197. La catedral de Glasgow adoptó el culto protestante durante la reforma escocesa, lo que la salvó de la destrucción.

Es la única catedral medieval en Escocia que queda intacta después de la reforma religiosa del siglo XVI. Es un ejemplo de la arquitectura gótica pre-reformista. El edificio presente es de origen del siglo XII, aunque la torre y otras muchas reformas se añadieron en el siglo XV, además de la Necrópolis. Sólo las torres occidentales fueron destruidas en los desórdenes de la reforma.

El acceso a la nave se hace por una puerta lateral, de la que cuelgan algunos estandartes militares. Muchas de las imponentes vidrieras son contemporáneas, es una de las mejores colecciones de post-guerra de todo el Reino Unido. Por ejemplo, a la izquierda se ve la obra de Francis Apear La Creación, de 1958, en el lado oeste.

La catedral se halla dividida por un cancel de piedras de finales del siglo XV, decorado con siete pares de figuras que representan los Siete Pecados Capitales. Detrás se sitúa el coro. El techo de madera, de finales del siglo XV, ha sido restaurado en numerosas ocasiones y destaca que no está unido por clavos.

Tiene una cripta del siglo XIII a la que se accede por unas escaleras. La cripta es el sepulcro de San Mungo, fundador de una comunidad monástica en el mismo lugar en el siglo V; su tumba fue centro de una peregrinación medieval.

Tags:   Marcial Bernabeu Bernabéu UK United Kingdom United Kingdom Great Britain Reino Unido Reino Unido Gran Bretaña Scotland Escocia Glasglow Cathedral Catedral High Kirk Kentigern Mungo Marc

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

España - Ciudad Real - Almadén - Mina

ENGLISH:

The mercury deposits of Almaden account for the largest quantity of liquid mercury metal produced in the world. Approximately 250,000 metric tons of mercury have been produced there in the past 2,000 years.

The geology of the area is characterised by volcanism. Almaden is home to the world's greatest reserves of cinnabar, a mineral associated with recent volcanic activity, from which mercury is extracted. Cinnabar was first used for pigment by the Romans. Later, the mineral was used mostly in medicine and alchemy during the Arab domination of Spain.

The Fuggers of Augsburg, two German bankers, administered the mines during the 16th and 17th centuries in return for loans to the Spanish government. Mercury became very valuable in the Americas in the mid 16th century due to the introduction of amalgamation, a process that uses mercury to extract the metals from gold and silver ore. The demand for mercury grew, and so did the town's importance as a center of mining and industry. Most of the mercury produced at this time was sent to Seville, then to the Americas.

The dangerous working conditions of the mines made it difficult for the Fuggers to find willing laborers. As the demand for mercury grew, the idea of convict labor was introduced. Safer mining technology was introduced in the last quarter of the 18th century, and free laborers began to take interest in the mine again. By the end of the century, free workers had replaced most of the slave labor. The penal establishment at Almaden was closed in 1801.

In 1916, a special council was created to operate the mines, introducing new technology and safety improvements. A record production of 82,000 mercury flasks was reached in 1941, just after the Spanish Civil War. The price for mercury decreased from a peak of US$571 in 1965 to US$121 in 1976 making economic planning difficult. In 1981, the Spanish government created the company Minas de Almaden y Arrayanes to operate the mine. In 2000, the mines closed due to the fall of the price of mercury in the international market, caused by falling demand. However, Almaden still has one of the world's largest mercury resources.

Almaden is now a World Heritage Site. A museum has been built, including visit to the mines (areas from 16th to 20th century).

*******************************************************************************

ESPAÑOL:

Las reservas de Almadén de cinabrio (mineral del que se extrae el mercurio) son las más grandes del mundo y eran ya explotadas por los romanos en tiempos de Estrabón, Vitrubio y Plinio, que aluden al cinabrio de Almadén al mencionar la cercana ciudad romana de Sisapo, ubicada en el valle de Alcudia.

Para entender la importancia de la mina valen dos datos, ha estado en activo 2000 años y un tercio de todo el mercurio que ha utilizado la humanidad ha sido extraído de ella. Si bien la prohibición de seguir usando mercurio desde 2011, dictada por la Unión Europea debido al riesgo de envenenamiento por mercurio, han llevado a su cierre aún teniendo una gran reserva de cinabrio sin haber sido extraído.

Actualmente, el Parque Minero de Almadén, nombrado Patrimonio de la Humanidad por la Unesco, es la herencia viva de los dos mil años de la explotación de Almadén, la cual alcanza más de 700 metros de profundidad. Tras el cierre de la actividad minera en 2003, las minas más antiguas del mundo cuya actividad se ha mantenido hasta nuestros días, muestran sus secretos.

El mercurio, la plata viva de los romanos, se muestra en el Parque en todos sus aspectos, la extracción de su mineral, el cinabrio, sulfuro de mercurio, su transformación en los hornos metalúrgicos, sus propiedades físicas y químicas, sus usos y, cómo no, su eterna historia.

La visita al Parque Minero de Almadén comienza por las instalaciones mineras de superficie en el Centro de Visitantes y prosigue por los antiguos talleres y los castilletes de los pozos de San Aquilino y San Teodoro, así como el Centro de Interpretación de la Minería.

Se recorre a pie una parte del interior de la mina se realiza bajando a 50 metros de profundidad, en una jaula de mina. Se trata de una zona de mina real explotada en los siglos XVI y XVII, incluida la joya de la visita, el baritel de San Andrés con su majestuoso malacate, capilla sixtina del patrimonio minero.

La salida a superficie se realiza por medio de un tren de vagonetas habilitado para el transporte del público, continuando la visita con las instalaciones de exterior, para pasar posteriormente al Museo del Mercurio donde se encuentran salas dedicadas a la geología y paleontología de la zona, experimentos interactivos de la física y química del mercurio, la historia de la metalurgia de este metal y el transporte hasta América.

Tags:   Marcial Bernabeu Bernabéu Spain España Castilla La Mancha Ciudad Real Almaden Almadén Mina Mine Monochrome Monocromo B&W Black White Blanco Negro Blanco y Negro Black and White Monocromático Black & White Marc

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Reino Unido de Gran Bretaña - Escocia - Edimburgo - Calton Hill - Monumento Nacional

ENGLISH

The National Monument of Scotland, on Calton Hill in Edinburgh, is Scotland's national memorial to the Scottish soldiers and sailors who died fighting in the Napoleonic Wars. It was intended, according to the inscription, to be "A Memorial of the Past and Incentive to the Future Heroism of the Men of Scotland".

The monument dominates the top of Calton Hill, just to the east of Princes Street. It was designed during 1823-6 by Charles Robert Cockerell and William Henry Playfair and is modelled upon the Parthenon in Athens. Construction started in 1826 and, due to the lack of funds, was left unfinished in 1829. This circumstance gave rise to various nicknames such as "Scotland's Disgrace", "Edinburgh's Disgrace", "the Pride and Poverty of Scotland" and "Edinburgh's Folly".

*******************************************************************************

ESPAÑOL

El Monumento nacional de Escocia (en inglés: National Monument of Scotland) se localiza en la colina de Calton en Edimburgo, se trata del monumento nacional de Escocia a los soldados escoceses y los marineros que murieron luchando en las guerras napoleónicas.1 La intención era, según la inscripción, ser "un monumento del pasado y de incentivo para el heroísmo futuro de los hombres de Escocia".

El monumento domina la cima de la colina de Calton, justo al este de la calle Princes. Fue diseñado entre 1823 y 1826 por Charles Robert Cockerell y William Henry Playfair, y se basa en el Partenón de Atenas. La construcción comenzó en 1826 y, debido a la falta de fondos, quedó inconcluso en 1829.

Tags:   Marcial Bernabeu Bernabéu UK United Kingdom United Kingdom Reino Unido Reino Unido Great Britain Gran Bretaña Scotland Escocia Edinburgh Edimburgo Calton Hill Monumento Nacional National Monument Calton Hill National Monument National Monument of Scotland Monumento Nacional de Escocia Marc

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

España - Granada - Monachil - Sendero Los Cahorros

Tags:   Marcial Bernabeu Bernabéu Spain España Andalucía Andalucia Andalusia Granada Monachil Cahorros Footpath Path Trail Sendero Aceituna Aceitunas Olive Olives Tree Olivo Drop Gota Marc


8.3%