Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Marcial Bernabeu / Italy - Pisa - Battistero
4,187 items
Italia - Pisa - Baptisterio

********

ENGLISH

The Pisa Baptistery of St. John is a Roman Catholic ecclesiastical building in Pisa, Italy, it is the largest one in Italy. Construction started in 1152 to replace an older baptistery, and when it was completed in 1363, it became the second building, in chronological order, in the Piazza dei Miracoli, near the Duomo di Pisa and the cathedral's free-standing campanile, the famous Leaning Tower of Pisa. The baptistery was designed by Diotisalvi, whose signature can be read on two pillars inside the building, with the date 1153.

Constructed on the same unstable sand as the tower and cathedral, the Baptistery leans 0.6 degrees toward the cathedral. Originally the shape of the Baptistery, according to the project by Diotisalvi, was different. It was perhaps similar to the church of Holy Sepulchre in Pisa, with its pyramidal roof. After the death of the architect, Nicola Pisano continued the work, changing the style to the more modern Gothic one. Also an external roof was added giving the shape of a cupola. As a side effect of the two roofs, the pyramidal inner one and the domed external one, the interior is acoustically perfect, making of that space a resonating chamber.

The exterior of the dome is clad with lead sheets on its east side (facing the cathedral) and red tiles on its west side (facing the sea), giving a half grey and half red appearance from the south


********

ESPAÑOL

El Baptisterio de Pisa, dedicado a San Juan el Bautista, está frente a la catedral en el extremo occidental de la Piazza dei Miracoli. Es el mayor de Italia y el baptisterio independiente más reconocido del mundo.

El redondo edificio románico comenzó a construirse en 1152, en sustitución de un antiguo baptisterio más pequeño que estaba situado donde se ubica el camposanto, y se concluyó en 1363. Se inauguró en el mes de agosto según lo que reza la inscripción: MCLIII Mense August fundata fuit haec («En el mes de agosto de 1153 fue aquí fundada...»

Fue el segundo edificio de la plaza en erigirse después de la catedral y antes de la torre. Se construyó en estilo románico por un arquitecto conocido como Deustesalvet («Diostesalve»), quien trabajó también en la iglesia del Santo Sepulcro en la ciudad. Su nombre está mencionado en un pilar interior, como Diotosalvi magister. La construcción, sin embargo, no terminó hasta el siglo XIV, cuando la loggia, la planta superior y la cúpula fueron añadidos en estilo gótico por Nicola y Giovanni Pisano y Cellino di Nese.

Cimentada sobre el mismo suelo arenoso que la torre, el baptisterio está inclinado 0,6 grados hacia la catedral.
Popularity
  • Views: 2152
  • Comments: 0
  • Favorites: 69
Dates
  • Taken: Sep 21, 2017
  • Uploaded: Oct 5, 2019
  • Updated: Apr 19, 2020