Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Marcial Bernabéu / UK - Scotland - Glasgow - Cathedral [EXPLORED 2016-Ago-24]
4,600 items
Reino Unido de Gran Bretaña - Escocia - Glasgow - Catedral

ENGLISH

Glasgow Cathedral, also called the High Kirk of Glasgow or St Kentigern's or St Mungo's Cathedral, is today a gathering of the Church of Scotland in Glasgow.

The title cathedral is honorific and historic, dating from the period before the Scottish Reformation and its former status as the Roman Catholic mother church of the Archdiocese of Glasgow and the cathedra of the Archbishop of Glasgow (which is now in St. Andrew's Cathedral, the present mother church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Glasgow). The current congregation is part of the Church of Scotland's Presbytery of Glasgow. Glasgow Cathedral is located north of High Street and east of Cathedral Street, beside the Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

The history of the cathedral is linked with that of the city, and is allegedly located where the patron saint of Glasgow, Saint Mungo, built his church. The tomb of the saint is in the lower crypt. Walter Scott's novel Rob Roy gives an account of the kirk.
Glasgow Cathedral, engraving by John Slezer, (1693)
An old postcard view of the Cathedral (1893)
Glasgow Cathedral choir

Built before the Reformation from the late 12th century onwards and serving as the seat of the Bishop and later the Archbishop of Glasgow, the building is a superb example of Scottish Gothic architecture. It is also one of the few Scottish medieval churches (and the only medieval cathedral on the Scottish mainland) to have survived the Reformation not unroofed.

James IV ratified the treaty of Perpetual Peace with England at the high altar on 10 December 1502. The cathedral and the nearby castle played a part in the battles of Glasgow in 1544 and 1560. Twenty years after the Reformation, on 22 April 1581 James VI granted the income from a number of lands to Glasgow town for the kirk's upkeep. He traced the ownership of these lands to money left by Archbishop Gavin Dunbar as a legacy for repairing the cathedral. The town council agreed on 27 February 1583 to take responsibility for repairing the kirk, while recording they had no obligation to do so. The church survives because of this resolution. Inside, the rood screen is also a very rare survivor in Scottish churches.

Technically, the building is no longer a cathedral, since it has not been the seat of a bishop since 1690. However, like many other pre-Reformation cathedrals in Scotland, it is still a place of active Christian worship, hosting a Church of Scotland congregation. The current minister (since 15 February 2007) is the Rev Laurence A. B. Whitley, PhD, who was previously minister at Montrose Old and St Andrew's Parish Church. The previous minister was the Very Rev William Morris, who was minister from 1967 until retiring in November 2005. The building itself is in the ownership of the Crown, is maintained by Historic Scotland, and is a popular destination for tourists.

*******************************************************************************

ESPAÑOL

La Catedral de Glasgow, también conocida como High Kirk de Glasgow o la catedral de San Mungo, es un templo de culto de la iglesia de Escocia además de un monumento histórico de Glasgow.

El título de catedral es honorífico e histórico, data desde el periodo anterior a la Reforma Escocesa, cuando era iglesia católica de la Archidiócesis de Glasgow y catedral del arzobispo de Glasgow. Actualmente pertenece a la congregación escocesa de los Presbiteros de Glasgow. Está al norte de la High Street y al este de la Cathedral Street. Fue el lugar donde se fundó la Universidad de Glasgow y en la actualidad sirve como sacristía.

La construcción en sí misma es propiedad pública. La organización Historic Scotland se encarga de su mantenimiento y es uno de los monumentos más visitados por los turistas en Glasgow. La entrada es gratuita.

Se empezó a construir como catedral en el 1136 durante el reinado de David I de Escocia], pero fue destruida varias veces por el fuego. Fue consagrada en 1197. La catedral de Glasgow adoptó el culto protestante durante la reforma escocesa, lo que la salvó de la destrucción.

Es la única catedral medieval en Escocia que queda intacta después de la reforma religiosa del siglo XVI. Es un ejemplo de la arquitectura gótica pre-reformista. El edificio presente es de origen del siglo XII, aunque la torre y otras muchas reformas se añadieron en el siglo XV, además de la Necrópolis. Sólo las torres occidentales fueron destruidas en los desórdenes de la reforma.

El acceso a la nave se hace por una puerta lateral, de la que cuelgan algunos estandartes militares. Muchas de las imponentes vidrieras son contemporáneas, es una de las mejores colecciones de post-guerra de todo el Reino Unido. Por ejemplo, a la izquierda se ve la obra de Francis Apear La Creación, de 1958, en el lado oeste.

La catedral se halla dividida por un cancel de piedras de finales del siglo XV, decorado con siete pares de figuras que representan los Siete Pecados Capitales. Detrás se sitúa el coro. El techo de madera, de finales del siglo XV, ha sido restaurado en numerosas ocasiones y destaca que no está unido por clavos.

Tiene una cripta del siglo XIII a la que se accede por unas escaleras. La cripta es el sepulcro de San Mungo, fundador de una comunidad monástica en el mismo lugar en el siglo V; su tumba fue centro de una peregrinación medieval.
Popularity
  • Views: 33278
  • Comments: 157
  • Favorites: 466
Dates
  • Taken: Jul 8, 2014
  • Uploaded: Aug 24, 2016
  • Updated: Dec 10, 2019