Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / John's Photo Philosophy / St Kilda Synagogue
Luminosity 7 / 4,277 items
The Hebrew inscription on this synagogue is "Kehilat ahav shalom", meaning “Congregation of love and peace”.

This Orthodox Hebrew congregation was formed in 1871 and met in public meeting halls until the consecration of this building in 1927. The Supreme Commander of all Commonwealth Forces in WWI, Lieutenant General Sir John Monash, G.C.M.G., K.C.B., V.D. (1865-1931) was a member of the Congregation and served on its Board of Management.

This heritage-listed, Byzantine-inspired building has a domed roof, brass doors and arched windows. The threefold arches seen here reflect the so-called "Golden Gates" in the walls of old Jerusalem through which it is believed the Messiah will one day walk into the Holy City.

stkildashule.org.au/
Popularity
  • Views: 2986
  • Comments: 26
  • Favorites: 51
Dates
  • Taken: Dec 14, 2022
  • Uploaded: Jan 11, 2023
  • Updated: Jul 18, 2023