As has been the norm for me with photography, I set out to try an idea and end up with something different than I envisioned.
I haven't taken any new smoke pictures in over a year. There are ideas I have thought about how to capture a better smoke image to work with but life/work has sidelined my progress. I tend to fiddle with old shots and see how I can achieve something varied from the last smoke composition.
I usually use only one smoke plume and then copy and paste. This one was done with a shot that had some "technical problems". I had plenty of light spill over from colored lights and hot spots. Reverting back to my "why not" instead of "why" attitude, at At 2 A.M. I accepted I was not going to win the insomnia battle and started changing blending modes and settings. I figured this would be a dead end, but it opened the door wider. Unfortunately I still have the same work deadline as I did yesterday so it may be a bit before I can fully implement some of my new found knowledge on a fully realized piece.