The log section of Anderson Townhouse was built in 1792/95. It housed the first town commissioners of Blountville: Richard Gammon (1750-1833), Major George Maxwell (1751-1821) and Colonel John Anderson (1750-1817). All these men served the American Revolution and held important civil offices. John Anderson, who lived and worked at the Townhouse when in Blountville on commissioner duties, was the owner of the well-known Blockhouse on the famed Wilderness Road. In addition to the town commissioners, the house has been home to a number of Presbyterian and Methodist ministers as well as Joseph Anderson, one of the founders of modern Bristol.
The kitchen burned about 1811. Successive owners by 1826 added the frame back wing and made general improvements in the interior.
As part of America’s Bicentennial Celebration, the house was purchased in 1974 by the Sullivan County Historical Commission with funds donated by individual clubs and businesses and a grant by the American Revolution Bicentennial Administration.
It is a part of the Blountville Historic District added to the National Register of Historic Places in February 23, 1973.