Brentor church, on the western edge of Dartmoor National Park, is on a dominant granite plug rising to 1,100 feet. The Church of St Michael de la Rupe dates from 1130 and is the highest parish church in England. It is also the fourth smallest. The tor is the site of a former manganese mine. The ore was exported via Morwellham Quay on the River Tamar. The soil is so thin at the top that the graveyard has had to be put at the base of the hill, although there are a few graves up there.
Brent Tor, on which Brentor church stands, is effectively an extinct volcano. There are signs of previous historic settlements including a stone age hill fort. The church is regarded as one of England's Thousand Best Churches by Simon Jenkins.
Tags: Devon Dartmoor Brentor Church Church of St Michael de la Rupe England's Thousand Best Churches landscapes