Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Hazeldon73 / Sets / EXPLORED BY FLICKR
6 items

N 21 B 5.7K C 50 E Mar 14, 2010 F Mar 17, 2010
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

View On Black

The Palm House (Liverpool)



Completed in 1896, the Palm House was a gift to the City by Henry Yates Thompson. It was designed by an Edinburgh firm, MacKenzie & Moncur who had branches in Glasgow and London. Their main works were in Balcarres Street, Edinburgh.

The Palm House was designed in the tradition of Paxton's glass houses and was stocked originally with a magnificent collection of exotic plants. There were 9 marble statues on display inside together with a marble bench. On plinths around the outside there were a further 8 bronze/marble statues by Chavailiaud (1858-1921) of famous explorers and naturalists.

Tags:   palm house sefton park liverpool hdr merseyside 1896 henry yates thompson glass paxton Chavailiaud mackenzie&moncur

N 12 B 1.2K C 22 E Feb 21, 2010 F Feb 21, 2010
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

View On Black

This pic was taken of the chinese new year celebrations 2010 ,chinatown-liverpool

Tags:   chinese new year dragon celebration liverpool hdr china town arch

N 15 B 1.9K C 63 E Mar 28, 2010 F Apr 2, 2010
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

View On Black

Tags:   BIRKENHEAD PARK LAKE ROMAN BOATING HOUSE WIRRAL HDR ORTON EFFECT TREES FISHING COTH5

N 32 B 1.2K C 42 E Mar 10, 2010 F Mar 16, 2010
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

View On Black

Tags:   ROYAL LIVER BUILDING LIVERPOOL MERSEYSIDE HERITAGE WATERFRONT BLACK WHITE MONO

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

View On Black

The Duke of Lancaster is a railway steamer passenger ship in operation in Europe from 1956 to 1978, and currently beached in Mostyn docks, on the River Dee, north-east Wales.
The Lancaster was sold to Liverpool based company Empirewise Ltd, who intended her to be used as a static leisure centre and market. She arrived at her new home at Llanerch-y-Mor, near Mostyn on 10 August 1979.The ship was beached and the hull was sealed not in concrete as is commanly thought but surrounded by a large tonnage of sand pulled out of the dee estuary. Known as "The Fun Ship", it was also possible to visit her bridge and engine room. Conversion for use as a 300-room hotel did not appear to go beyond the preliminary planning stage. Its use as "The Fun Ship" was relatively short-lived and was subsequently closed to the public. Over time, the vessel has become increasingly derelict.

The ship was later used as a warehouse by its owners Solitaire Liverpool Ltd, a clothing company registered to the same address as Empirewise Ltd. Despite rumours of the ship being scrapped, the company stated that they have no plans to sell it, or restore it and its current use is uncertain.

Despite having large amounts of its exterior paintwork covered in red-leading, the interior of the ship is in very good condition.

Tags:   duke lancaster ship railway steamer mostyn funship north wales river dee empirewise static MARKET


83.3%