Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / DameBoudicca / Sanmon detail (Explored)
Rebecca B. / 5,310 items
ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved
Do not use without permission.

The great entrance gate of the Buddhist temple Zōjō-ji. The gate is really called a Sangedatsu Mon (三解脱門) and anyone passing through here can rid oneself of the three passions of greed, hatred and foolishness. The gate dates to 1622 and is the only building in the temple compound that survived the second world war.

Zōjō-ji was founded by Yūyo Shōsō in the 14th century - at another place but it was moved here in 1590 and during the Edo period it was one of the two family temples of the Tokugawa family (the other being Kan'ei-ji).The temple is the main temple of the Chinzei branch of Jōdo-shū Buddhism.
Popularity
  • Views: 19577
  • Comments: 24
  • Favorites: 134
Dates
  • Taken: Oct 9, 2013
  • Uploaded: Nov 20, 2014
  • Updated: Feb 10, 2015