Fishermen’s Bastion is a relatively young building near Matthias Church. Based on the plans of Frigyes Schulek, the construction works began in 1895 on the walls of the mediaeval fish market, which was protected by the fishermen’s guild. This is where the name of the bastion comes from. The bastion’s seven towers symbolise the seven leaders of the Settlement, when the Magyars came to live in Hungary. St. Stephen’s statue can be seen in the middle of the bastion’s courtyard. The Neo-Romanesque building only has a decorative function, and it is visited by tourists because of the Pest panorama.
Tags: Fishermen’s Bastion Budapest Hungary ungarn hdr sony alpha a300 fischerbastion