Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Baz Richardson (away until 10 July) / Sets / West of England
Baz Richardson / 160 items

N 89 B 6.9K C 79 E Oct 29, 2017 F Nov 13, 2017
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Symonds Yat Rock is in the Wye Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty on the border between Herefordshire and Gloucestershire in the far west of England. It is within a few miles of Monmouthshire and the Welsh border. The name is said to come from Robert Symonds, a 17th-century sheriff of Herefordshire, and yat, an old word for a gate or pass.

Symonds Yat Rock overlooks a spectacular gorge cut by the River Wye through carboniferous limestone exposing numerous impressive cliff faces. This area has been inhabited for at least 12,000 years. Iron ore has been mined and smelted in the gorge for hundreds of years.

Tags:   Gloucestershire Symonds Yat Rock River Wye Wye Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Herefordshire Wye Valley

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

This is effectively a one-mile long canal in Gloucestershire that runs inland from the River Severn to Lydney, a few miles north-east of Chepstow. It was opened in 1813 to trans-ship iron and coal from the Forest of Dean. It was once connected by a horse drawn tram road to Pidcock's Canal which brought materials down to the wharves by tub-boat.

In the 1960s imported wood was still being brought in by barge from Avonmouth. It remained in commercial use until the 1980s. The entrance to the canal consists of an outer tidal gate opening into a wide basin. From there a lock opens into the one-mile canal cut. Immediately above the lock, a pair of gates point the other way as protection against a high tidal flood in the estuary. There is one swing bridge crossing the canal.

The docks have recently been restored to create a marina and harbour area for seagoing yachts and motor boats.

Tags:   Gloucestershire Lydney Lydney Harbour Lydney Canal canals yachts

N 51 B 2.9K C 14 E Oct 29, 2017 F Nov 14, 2017
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Goodrich Castle is situated to the north of the village of Goodrich in Herefordshire, and controlled a key location between Monmouth and Ross-on-Wye. It was praised by William Wordsworth as the "noblest ruin in Herefordshire" and is considered by historian Adrian Pettifer to be the "most splendid in the county, and one of the best examples of English military architecture".

The castle was probably built by Godric of Mappestone after the Norman invasion of England, initially as an earth and wooden fortification. In the middle of the 12th century the original castle was replaced with a stone keep, and was then expanded significantly during the late 13th century into a concentric structure combining luxurious living quarters with extensive defences. The success of Goodrich's design influenced many other constructions across England over the following years. It became the seat of the powerful Talbot family before falling out of favour as a residence in late Tudor times.

Held first by Parliamentary and then Royalist forces in the English Civil War of the 1640s, Goodrich was finally successfully besieged by Colonel John Birch in 1646 with the help of the huge "Roaring Meg" mortar, resulting in the subsequent slighting of the castle and its descent into ruin. It is owned by English Heritage and open to the public.

Tags:   Herefordshire Goodrich Goodrich Castle English Heritage Norman castles Grade I-listed buildings

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

The ancient harbour at Lydney on the north bank of the River Severn in Gloucestershire dates from 1813, when it was opened to trans-ship iron and coal from the Forest of Dean. It was once connected by a horse drawn tram road to Pidcock's Canal which brought materials down to the wharves by tub-boat.

In the 1960s imported wood was still being brought in by barge from Avonmouth. It remained in commercial use until the 1980s. During the hey-day of the docks there was around 300,000 tons of coal being exported annually in over 2000 vessels. The final export of coal from the harbour was in 1960.

The harbour, which is effectively a one mile long canal with this quay on the River Severn, has recently been restored to create a marina and harbour area for seagoing yachts and motor boats. That part of the harbour nearest the River Severn is a scheduled Ancient Monument.

Tags:   Gloucestershire Lydney Lydney Harbour River Severn quays Ancient Monument

N 18 B 1.3K C 0 E Oct 29, 2017 F Nov 15, 2017
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Goodrich Castle is set in heavily wooded grounds alongside the River Wye, just to the north of the village of Goodrich in Herefordshire. It was praised by William Wordsworth as the "noblest ruin in Herefordshire" and is considered by historian Adrian Pettifer to be the "most splendid in the county, and one of the best examples of English military architecture".

The castle was built by the Normans, initially as an earth and wooden fortification. In the middle of the 12th century the original castle was replaced with a stone keep, and was then expanded significantly during the late 13th century into a concentric structure combining luxurious living quarters with extensive defences. The success of Goodrich's design influenced many other constructions across England over the following years. The castle was badly damaged by mortar fire in the English Civil War.

Tags:   Herefordshire Goodrich Castle ruins trees autumn


3.1%