Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Baz Richardson (away until 10 July) / Sets / Northumberland & Tyneside
Baz Richardson / 90 items

N 73 B 3.7K C 44 E Sep 11, 2017 F Sep 14, 2017
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

This was taken from near Corby's Crags, south-west of Alnwick in Northumberland, and looks across the valley of the River Aln towards the Cheviot Hills. These straddle the Anglo-Scottish border between Northumberland and the Scottish Borders. The English part is within the Northumberland National Park. The range includes The Cheviot (the highest hill at 2,674 feet), plus Hedgehope Hill, Windy Gyle, Cushat Law and Bloodybush Edge.

The hills are sometimes considered a part of the Southern Uplands of Scotland as they adjoin the uplands to the north. Since the Pennine Way runs through the region, the hills are also considered a part of the northern Pennines. The Cheviot Hills are primarily associated with geological activity from approximately 480 to 360 million years ago, when the continents of Avalonia and Laurentia collided, resulting in extensive volcanic activity which created a granite outcrop surrounded by lava flows.

Tags:   Northumberland Northumberland National Park Cheviot Hills landscapes

N 73 B 4.9K C 13 E Sep 10, 2017 F Sep 16, 2017
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Located at the mouth of the River Aln some four miles from Alnwick, the village of Alnmouth had a port supporting a small fishing industry and was for a time a leading north-east centre for the export of grain and other foodstuffs, especially to London.

Port activities declined at the end of the 19th century, partly because of the shifting and silting of the river estuary and partly because of the arrival of the railways. Alnmouth then transformed itself into a coastal resort complete with one of the earliest English golf courses. It lies within the Northumberland Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

Tags:   Northumberland Alnmouth sandy beaches coast sea Explored

N 31 B 3.0K C 12 E Sep 10, 2017 F Sep 16, 2017
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

During our recent week's visit to south-east Scotland we called in at Berwick-upon-Tweed, which is just over the English border. Berwick is a traditional market town and also has some notable architectural features, in particular its medieval town walls, its Elizabethan ramparts and these early 18th century barracks.

Built between 1717 and 1721 to the design of the distinguished architect Nicholas Hawksmoor, the barracks were designed to protect the town during the Jacobite risings. The work involved two parallel blocks of military accommodation. An additional block was added between 1739 and 1741. After the Napoleonic Wars the barracks were abandoned but put back into use in the 1850s.

The barracks eventually became the depot of the King's Own Scottish Borderers, who arrived from Fulford Barracks in July 1881. The regiment moved out of these barracks in 1963 and they are now maintained by English Heritage.

Berwick-upon-Tweed is the northernmost town in England and is located a couple of miles south of the Scottish border at the mouth of the River Tweed on the east coast. Berwick was founded as an Anglo-Saxon settlement during the time of the Kingdom of Northumbria, which was annexed by England in the 10th century. The area was for more than 400 years central to historic border wars between the Kingdoms of England and Scotland, and several times possession of Berwick changed hands between the two kingdoms. The last time it changed hands was when England retook it in 1482.

Tags:   Northumberland Berwick-upon-Tweed Berwick Barracks 18th century architecture Nicholas Hawksmoor English Heritage

N 30 B 2.7K C 8 E Sep 11, 2017 F Sep 16, 2017
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

The Bondgate Tower, also known as the Hotspur Gateway, is part of the medieval defences of Alnwick, a market town in Northumberland that was the scene of several battles with the Scots. The Grade I-listed gateway was built around 1434 by the 2nd Earl of Northumberland and was the east gate in the town's defensive walls.

Tags:   Northumberland Alnwick Bondgate Tower Hotspur Gateway town gates fortified gateways Tudor architecture

N 91 B 7.1K C 88 E Sep 11, 2017 F Sep 16, 2017
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

This was taken from Corby's Crags about four miles south-west of Alnwick in Northumberland, and looks to the south-west. The remains of Edlingham Castle can just be seen to the left of centre, with the village of Edlingham just behind. Beyond the hills is the Northumberland National Park.

Tags:   Northumberland Corby's Crags Edlingham countryside landscapes Northumberland Country Park


5.6%