Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Baz Richardson (away until 10 July) / Sets / Stratford-upon-Avon
Baz Richardson / 45 items

N 37 B 21.3K C 117 E Aug 22, 2012 F Aug 23, 2012
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Anne Hathaway's Cottage is a twelve-roomed farmhouse where the wife of William Shakespeare lived as a child in the village of Shottery, Warwickshire, about 1 mile west of Stratford-upon-Avon. Spacious, and with several bedrooms, it is now set in extensive gardens.

The earliest part of the house was built prior to the 15th century. The cottage was known as Newlands Farm in Shakespeare's day and had more than 90 acres (36 hectares) of land attached to it. As in many houses of the period, it has multiple chimneys to spread the heat evenly throughout the house during winter. The largest chimney was used for cooking. It also has visible timber framing, a trademark of vernacular Tudor style architecture.

(Source: Wikipedia)

Tags:   Warwickshire William Shakespeare. medieval buildings Anne Hathaway's Cottage ColorPhotoAward

N 8 B 6.2K C 9 E Aug 22, 2012 F Aug 23, 2012
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

This is the kitchen of Anne Hathaway's Cottage, which is a twelve-roomed farmhouse where the wife of William Shakespeare lived as a child in the village of Shottery, Warwickshire, England, about 1 mile west of Stratford-upon-Avon. Spacious, and with several bedrooms, it is now set in extensive gardens.

The earliest part of the house was built prior to the 15th century. The cottage was known as Newlands Farm in Shakespeare's day and had more than 90 acres (36 hectares) of land attached to it. As in many houses of the period, it has multiple chimneys to spread the heat evenly throughout the house during winter. The largest chimney was used for cooking.

(Source: Wikipedia.)

Tags:   Warwickshire Anne Hathaway's Cottage William Shakespeare Stratford-upon-Avon Tudor architecture medieval buildings

N 0 B 1.9K C 2 E Aug 22, 2012 F Aug 23, 2012
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

The Stratford Canal joins the River Avon as it passes through the town. This side of the lock gates is a canal basin where several boats are moored. The canal then runs to the suburbs of Birmingham.

Construction of the Stratford Canal commenced in the 1790s and the completed canal was opened at this junction with the River Avon in 1816. The canal was twenty five and a half miles long and had cost £297,000 to build. The major features on the canal include 56 locks, a 352 yard 16 feet wide tunnel, a large single span brick aqueduct and three cast iron trough aqueducts, three high embankments and a reservoir.

Trade on the canal steadily increased to a peak in 1838; but with the coming of the railways business on the canal started to decline. It was subsequently owned by two railway companies and became the property of the state when railways were nationalized in 1948.

Tags:   Warwickshire Stratford-upon-Avon Stratford canal basin Stratford canal lock gates Bridges pedestrian bridges River Avon rivers People Water England Great Britain

N 2 B 3.1K C 6 E Aug 22, 2012 F Aug 23, 2012
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Stratford-upon-Avon has more Elizabethan architecture than anywhere else that I know. This timber-framed building on Rother Street is a superb example.

Tags:   Warwickshire Stratford-upon-Avon Elizabethan houses Elizabethan architecture timber-framed houses

N 3 B 3.7K C 9 E Aug 22, 2012 F Aug 23, 2012
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

A schoolroom, schoolhouse and payment of £20 per annum for a master was one of the provisions of King Edward VI's charter which established Stratford-upon-Avon as a borough in June, 1553. The school was re-founded as one of King Edward's schools nine days before the young king died of tuberculosis and is believed to be the last of the King Edward VI Schools.

Although its history dates from 1295, the school had been independently endowed by Thomas Jolyffe in 1482, and was held in the room upstairs above the Guildhall (pictured), where William Shakespeare attended between the ages of seven to fourteen. His father, John Shakespeare, a glover and wool dealer in the town, held the office of bailiff of the borough in 1568. As a child, William would have been entitled to a free place at the school.

In what is still known as ‘Big School’, from the age of seven Shakespeare would have been taught Latin, Rhetoric and perhaps Greek. Lessons began with prayers at six o’clock in the morning during summer, and continued until 5 o’clock in the afternoon. In winter, although boys were expected to bring their own candles, the poor light meant a shorter day lasting from seven o’clock.

Sources: Wikipedia and King Edward VI School website.

Tags:   Warwickshire Stratford-upon-Avon William Shakespeare's school King Edward VI School medieval buildings


11.1%