Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Baz Richardson (away until 10 July) / Sets / Truro Cathedral
Baz Richardson / 12 items

N 7 B 8.3K C 39 E Apr 18, 2012 F Mar 15, 2012
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

The Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Truro is an Anglican cathedral located in the city of Truro, Cornwall. It was built in the Gothic Revival architectural style fashionable during much of the nineteenth century, and is one of only three cathedrals in the United Kingdom with three spires.

Construction began in 1880 on the site of the sixteenth century parish church of St Mary the Virgin to a design by the leading Gothic Revival architect John Loughborough Pearson. Pearson's design combines the Early English style with certain French characteristics, chiefly spires and rose windows. Truro's resemblance to Lincoln Cathedral is not coincidental: Pearson had been appointed as Lincoln's Cathedral architect and the first Bishop of Truro, Edward Benson, had previously been Canon Chancellor at Lincoln. The central tower and spire stands 250 feet (76 m) tall, while the western towers reach to 200 feet (61 m). Four kinds of stone were used: Mabe granite for the exterior, and St Stephen's granite for the interior, with dressings and shafts of Bath and Polyphant stone. The spires and turret roofs are of stone, except for a copper spire over the bell tower at west end of St Mary's Aisle. The cathedral is vaulted throughout. By October 1887 the choir and transepts were complete and the service of consecration took place on 3 November. The central tower was finished by 1905 and the building was completed with the opening of the two western towers in 1910.

Tags:   Cornwall Truro Cathedral cathedrals churches

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

The Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Truro was built in the Gothic Revival architectural style fashionable during much of the nineteenth century, and is one of only three cathedrals in the United Kingdom with three spires. Truro was the first cathedral to be built on a new site in England since Salisbury Cathedral in 1220. The central tower and spire stands 250 feet (76 m) tall, while the western towers reach to 200 feet (61 m). Four kinds of stone were used: Mabe granite for the exterior, and St Stephen's granite for the interior, with dressings and shafts of Bath and Polyphant stone.

Tags:   Cornwall Truro Cathedral cathedrals churches

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

The Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Truro is an Anglican cathedral located in the city of Truro, Cornwall. It was built in the Gothic Revival architectural style fashionable during much of the nineteenth century, and is one of only three cathedrals in the United Kingdom with three spires.

Construction began in 1880 on the site of the sixteenth century parish church of St Mary the Virgin to a design by the leading Gothic Revival architect John Loughborough Pearson. Pearson's design combines the Early English style with certain French characteristics, chiefly spires and rose windows. Truro's resemblance to Lincoln Cathedral is not coincidental: Pearson had been appointed as Lincoln's Cathedral architect and the first Bishop of Truro, Edward Benson, had previously been Canon Chancellor at Lincoln. The central tower and spire stands 250 feet (76 m) tall, while the western towers reach to 200 feet (61 m). Four kinds of stone were used: Mabe granite for the exterior, and St Stephen's granite for the interior, with dressings and shafts of Bath and Polyphant stone. The spires and turret roofs are of stone, except for a copper spire over the bell tower at west end of St Mary's Aisle. The cathedral is vaulted throughout. By October 1887 the choir and transepts were complete and the service of consecration took place on 3 November. The central tower was finished by 1905 and the building was completed with the opening of the two western towers in 1910.

Tags:   Cornwall Truro Cathedral cathedrals churches

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

The Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Truro is an Anglican cathedral located in the city of Truro, Cornwall. It was built in the Gothic Revival architectural style fashionable during much of the nineteenth century, and is one of only three cathedrals in the United Kingdom with three spires.

Construction began in 1880 on the site of the sixteenth century parish church of St Mary the Virgin to a design by the leading Gothic Revival architect John Loughborough Pearson. Pearson's design combines the Early English style with certain French characteristics, chiefly spires and rose windows. Truro's resemblance to Lincoln Cathedral is not coincidental: Pearson had been appointed as Lincoln's Cathedral architect and the first Bishop of Truro, Edward Benson, had previously been Canon Chancellor at Lincoln. The central tower and spire stands 250 feet (76 m) tall, while the western towers reach to 200 feet (61 m). Four kinds of stone were used: Mabe granite for the exterior, and St Stephen's granite for the interior, with dressings and shafts of Bath and Polyphant stone. The spires and turret roofs are of stone, except for a copper spire over the bell tower at west end of St Mary's Aisle. The cathedral is vaulted throughout. By October 1887 the choir and transepts were complete and the service of consecration took place on 3 November. The central tower was finished by 1905 and the building was completed with the opening of the two western towers in 1910.

Tags:   Cornwall Truro Cathedral cathedrals churches

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

The Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Truro was built in the Gothic Revival architectural style fashionable during much of the nineteenth century, and is one of only three cathedrals in the United Kingdom with three spires. Truro was the first cathedral to be built on a new site in England since Salisbury Cathedral in 1220. The central tower and spire stands 250 feet (76 m) tall, while the western towers reach to 200 feet (61 m). Four kinds of stone were used: Mabe granite for the exterior, and St Stephen's granite for the interior, with dressings and shafts of Bath and Polyphant stone.

Tags:   Cornwall cathedrals Truro Cathedral Victorian buildings Truro


41.7%