Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Baz Richardson (away until 10 July) / Sets / Oxford & Oxfordshire
Baz Richardson / 84 items

N 5 B 2.7K C 24 E Feb 20, 2012 F Feb 22, 2012
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

These young cellists set up outside Oxford's oldest building, St Michael at the North Gate (which dates from the Saxon period), and played beautifully while a large crowd gathered in appreciation.

Tags:   Oxfordshire Oxford Oxford city centre buskers cellists cellos

N 1 B 1.4K C 2 E Feb 21, 2012 F Feb 22, 2012
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

This large Victorian Gothic hotel is in the centre of Oxford and dates from 1866. It has featured several times in the Morse TV series.

Tags:   Oxfordshire Oxford Oxford City Centre The Randolph Hotel hotels city centres streets buildings Victorian buildings Tudor architecture

N 4 B 2.4K C 0 E Dec 5, 2012 F Feb 22, 2012
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

The Radcliffe Camera was designed by James Gibbs in the English Palladian style and built in 1737–1749 to house the Radcliffe Science Library. The building is the earliest example in England of a circular library. It is built in three main stages externally and two stories internally, the upper one containing a gallery.

Tags:   Oxfordshire Oxford The Radcliffe Camera Oxford University Georgian buildings James Gibbs Palladian buildings Tudor architecture

N 3 B 2.0K C 4 E Dec 5, 2012 F Feb 22, 2012
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

The Martyrs' Memorial is in the centre of Oxford, just outside Balliol College. It commemorates the 16th-century "Oxford Martyrs", who were ordered by the Catholic Queen Mary to be burned at the stake for their Protestant religious beliefs. Designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, the monument was completed in 1841and has been likened to the steeple of a cathedral. The three statues of Thomas Cranmer, Hugh Latimer and Nicholas Ridley are by Henry Weekes. The inscription on the base of the Martyrs' Memorial reads as follows:

"To the Glory of God, and in grateful commemoration of His servants, Thomas Cranmer, Nicholas Ridley, Hugh Latimer, Prelates of the Church of England, who near this spot yielded their bodies to be burned, bearing witness to the sacred truths which they had affirmed and maintained against the errors of the Church of Rome, and rejoicing that to them it was given not only to believe in Christ, but also to suffer for His sake; this monument was erected by public subscription in the year of our Lord God, MDCCCXLI".

Tags:   Oxfordshire Oxford Oxford Martyrs Thomas Cranmer Hugh Latimer Nicholas Ridley memorials monuments Sir Giles Gilbert Scott Balliol College

N 1 B 2.2K C 8 E Feb 20, 2012 F Feb 22, 2012
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

The Covered Market was officially opened on 1 November 1774 and was started in response to a general wish to clear 'untidy, messy and unsavoury stalls' from the main streets of central Oxford. John Gwynn, the architect of Magdalen Bridge, drew up the plans and designed the High Street front with its four entrances.

Today the covered market is still home to numerous traders, around half of which are food retailers, including traditional market shops selling fresh food such as greengrocers and butchers (including some who produce the distinctive, local Oxford sausage). There are also newer gift shops, bakeries and sandwich shops. Most of the shops now are quite a bit larger than the original stall sizes, and so the number of businesses in the covered market is smaller than in the past. It is a bustling area, especially on Saturdays.

Tags:   Oxfordshire Oxford The Covered Market Georgian buildings markets indoor markets shops stalls buildings Oxford Covered Market Tudor architecture


6%