This famous coaching inn is several hundred years old. In WWII pilots from local air bases burnt their squadron insignia with candles and lighters onto the ceiling of the bar whose window can be seen. It is still there as a memorial to them.
The Bridge of Sighs in Cambridge is a covered bridge belonging to St John's College of Cambridge University. It was built in 1831 and crosses the River Cam between the college's Third Court and New Court. The architect was Henry Hutchinson.
It is named after the Bridge of Sighs in Venice, although they have little architecturally in common beyond the fact that they are both covered.
Tags: Cambridge Cambridge University colleges Bridge of Sighs River Cam punts St John's College